Menu

Best resource to prepare to SAT subject tests-Math 2, Bio molecular?

My daughter is taking the SAT Math 2 test and the SAT Biology-molecular tests on Saturday, June 6th. She is finishing up courses at her local high school in Honors Pre-Calculus and AP Biology (taking the AP Bio exam tomorrow, but other than some review given by the teacher she has not prepared outside of class).

My daughter has been a very strong math student this year and feels very confident in the higher level math. Since her math has been integrated through her first couple years of high school, she may have some weakness in some areas of algebra and geometry. We are looking for good, streamlined review for this test. She doesn't have alot of time, and I know she will balk at anything that looks time consuming.

As for bio, she has been a strong "B" student in her AP Bio class, and her teacher feels she should be able to earn a "4" on the AP exam. Does anyone know how that should translate to the SAT subject test? Should she already be adequately prepared....if not, again, is there a streamlined review for this test?

Thanks for any input and/or direction,

Margaret

My daughter is taking the SAT Math 2 test and the SAT Biology-molecular tests on Saturday, June 6th. She is finishing up courses at her local high school in Honors Pre-Calculus and AP Biology (taking the AP Bio exam tomorrow, but other than some review given by the teacher she has not prepared outside of class).

My daughter has been a very strong math student this year and feels very confident in the higher level math. Since her math has been integrated through her first couple years of high school, she may have some weakness in some areas of algebra and geometry. We are looking for good, streamlined review for this test. She doesn't have alot of time, and I know she will balk at anything that looks time consuming.

As for bio, she has been a strong "B" student in her AP Bio class, and her teacher feels she should be able to earn a "4" on the AP exam. Does anyone know how that should translate to the SAT subject test? Should she already be adequately prepared....if not, again, is there a streamlined review for this test?

Thanks for any input and/or direction,

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Studying for the AP bio does not guarantee success on the SAT bio. You will probably need to study specifically for the SAT bio. To figure out what is on the SAT bio and take a free practice test go to sparknotes.com.

Holly

The College Board publishes a review book for the subject tests with sample tests for each subject. This should give your daughter a clearer idea of expectations for the SAT subjects.

My son took the AP Bio and the SAT Bio subject tests last year. They are different animals, really. Roughly half the credit on the AP Bio comes from the so called essay questions. Students must explain things like the Krebs cycle within a specific scenario or design experiments. The SAT Bio is more straight forward in that it is only multiple choice, but some of the questions are very specific and tough.

There are prep books galore on the market or in your library which seem to be wise investments before any of these tests.

Good luck to your daughter.

Jane

My ds took the SAT subject test for American History earlier this month, and just took the AP class in the same subject Friday. He says the Sat is far easier than the AP...so I would imagine your dd should do fine. He did look through the Kaplan study guides for the SAT II tests to be familiar with the format, etc.

I definitely second the suggestion to have your daughter take a practice test in each subject from The Official Study Guide for All SAT Subject Tests which is put out by the College Board. Odds are that your library will have this book. Once your daughter has taken the practice tests, she'll have a better idea of where she might need to focus her studies.

When my daughter was taking the math level 2 subject test, we checked out a variety of study guides from the library. Here is one that was helpful that is from the College Board and focuses exclusively on the math tests:

The Official SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics Levels 1 & 2 Study Guide.

Good luck to her!

Regards,

Kareni