Menu

logic stage science

Ohdanigirl

Do all of you do the disections? One of my dc hates hurting any animals, not sure how he will react and we have not decided how we will address this when the time comes....real soon. I have heard their is some omputer software for this type of thing, but I am not too familiar with it. Has anyone out there used it? Is it any good? Where can I learn more? Will he learn as much?

I waited for high school for my children to do dissections. My other boys had no problem with it, enjoyed it even. My third son has surprised me by being squeamish this year during Apologia Biology. He could not stomach it. So I did the cutting and he did the observing and note taking for his lab notebook. It was the only way he could get through it.

I wouldn't fret about it. The school system I went to (Dutch) is one of the best in the world and we never had to do dissections. There are virtual dissections online if you are so inclined.

We will not do dissections at this age (11). My ds is very sensitive about animals as well. We did CW Aesop and he changed all the stories so no animals were harmed. We live around abundant nature and he refused to pick up the dead dragonfly or bumble bee we found, I did though, dragonflies are fascinating.

This is the same kid that will play war with his friends, go figure.

I made it through a worm and frog in junior high and will probably consider something like that at the high school age. If he decides to go further than that I'll stomach it, but I'm not going to force it.

Thanks! Yes I would be interested in looking into online dissection. A friend of mine told me is sister (in Mexico) did a virtual one online and is trying to get the site for me, but aby suggestions are great. I think he could do the worm, but the frong and fetal pig may be too much. This is a child who does not want us to kill spiders, after all they don't bother us.:tongue_smilie:

Danielle

• 3 weeks later...