Menu

WWE and FLL users out there---HELP!

I have been looking into the WWE and FLL for my soon to be 3rd grader. I realized that she had no concept of how to write when this past Friday she was required to write a short story about Jesus using some prompting words. Anyway, she sat there dumbfounded and near tears. I was near tears myself seeing her little face soooooo sad looking :crying:!

On to the question:

Is is really necessary to buy the student workbook for WWE? I want to have her start reading from the classics and want to use these instead. I think I can come up with some comprehensive questions since we do this already with Bible when we do our devotions.

The next question is about FLL. Do I do the FLL 1 and 2 or just buy the CD and go into 3? Would the workbook be necessary for 3? I don't see any sample pages, so I can't relate to what they are requiring for seatwork.

Thank you in advance!:lol:

I have been looking into the WWE and FLL for my soon to be 3rd grader. I realized that she had no concept of how to write when this past Friday she was required to write a short story about Jesus using some prompting words. Anyway, she sat there dumbfounded and near tears. I was near tears myself seeing her little face soooooo sad looking :crying:!

On to the question:

Is is really necessary to buy the student workbook for WWE? I want to have her start reading from the classics and want to use these instead. I think I can come up with some comprehensive questions since we do this already with Bible when we do our devotions.

The next question is about FLL. Do I do the FLL 1 and 2 or just buy the CD and go into 3? Would the workbook be necessary for 3? I don't see any sample pages, so I can't relate to what they are requiring for seatwork.

Thank you in advance!:lol:

If you want to pick your own literature, you don't need the workbooks at all.

Has she had any grammar at all? If so, she could start in FLL 3. If she has had little grammar, it might move too fast. Look at the table of contents and see what you think. Rainbow Resource has sample pages and the TOC on its site. Go to the FLL item and click "More Views under the pictures. RR is the BEST place to see samples of everything!

You can see some sample pages of FLL3 (both teacher and student books) at cbd. I would definitely get the workbook, it makes the program open and go and easy for me to teach and ds to follow along. I really like the program and so does my ds8. I don't think I would use 1 or 2 with a 3rd grader. We use the WWE workbook for the same reasons, but if you have a method for comprehension, narration and dictation you wouldn't need it. You could just use the concepts learned in your FLL lesson and apply them to the dictation/copywork sample.

HTH!:001_smile:

I have been looking at FLL extensively trying to make my own plans. You want FLL 3 and the CD for FLL 1 and 2. Take FLL 3 slowly, using the CD for help with getting the concepts down and memorized.

You need the WWE main text for step by step directions on how to implement writing with your own literature. There is a lot more in WWE than what you get with FLL.

I have the main text, workbook one and FLL 1 and 2, in case you were wondering.

WWE teaches how to write a summary or report from information just read. The 4th level of WWE has a 5 sentence paragraph as the assignment. If it was an impromptu assignment without simple source material that was just read, then it would not be a developmentally appropriate task.

SWB does not recommend any creative writing for a grammar student. So, if it was a creative story about Jesus, you could still end up with a child in tears, even a much older child who was good at writing summaries, outlines and reports.

HTH

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Guest bookwormmama

Thanks Carmen this was very helpful for me too. We have been using Sonlight's LA program and I have had dd do all the grammar and spelling exercises and skipped the creative writing assignments! Good to know I am doing something "right"! :}

We do FLL and WWE.

I think for WWE you can use either the text or workbook. I actually like the workbook because I like using the worksheets it provides.

As far as FLL, I think it would depend on whether your child has had any english/grammar. If she hasnt had alot it may be worth it to review 1 and 2, if you come to a lesson she know just skip it. The lessons are usually so short that you can do more than one a day.

You want FLL 3 and the CD for FLL 1 and 2. Take FLL 3 slowly, using the CD for help with getting the concepts down and memorized.

I got this idea from the samples, I think. I know that I read it from something written by SWB.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/firstlanguagelessons/ Here are some good comparisons between FLL 1&2 and FLL 3, along with FAQs.

First Language Lessons Level 3 is designed to follow Levels 1 and 2, but can be used as a first grammar text for older students.

To see sample lessons from the Teacher's Book, click here.

To see sample lessons from the Student Workbook, click here.

I personally would not do FLL 1 and 2 with a 3rd grader. I would rather go with a totally different program.

Edited by Lovedtodeath