Menu

Aebelskiver?

I think I got mine in Junction City Oregon--they have a Scandinavian festival there every summer. As I recall, the pan is actually an egg-poaching pan but it works perfectly for aebelskiver. It is cast iron. Probably wasn't pre-seasoned--can't remember.

Mine was cast iron, and has deeper rounder cups than an egg poacher. We used extra butter until seasoned, and these are so delicious! My ex made them every Sunday, and kept them in a big ceramic bowl in a low oven with a towel over them until they were all done. I liked mine with powdered sugar and a drip of lemon juice, but they are also good with maple syrup.

Of note, you can also make the savory Thai snack that is eggier and has no sugar and also have chopped green onion in it. I can't remember the name. AFAIR, it uses rice flour. They are delicious, and many Wats that have a weekend brunch as a fundraiser make them. Sorry I can't remember more. I think those years, with that husband actually happened to someone else, or I just dreamed it, it was all so long ago.

My pan is cast iron. I use about a teaspoon of oil in each cup, and have no trouble with sticking. Well, actually, the first batch always sticks, but the rest are always perfect. I got the pan, and I get the mix (through internet) from the Solvang Restaurant in Solvang, California (a Danish village).

The best pans are the heaviest you can find. You want even heat distribution so that the aebelskiver "bakes" all the way through without burning. Heavy cast iron is best for this, especially the round ones with a lip around the rim. The pan you get will depend on what kind of heat you're cooking over (gas, electric coil, or glass top). You can go to this website: http://www.solvangrestaurant.com/

They'll tell you which pan is best. You can also buy their mix, with is wonderful! It's so good, I sometimes eat them plain. Not sweet, just yummy. :o)

I use bamboo skewers to turn my aebelskiver. I like them better than knitting needles.

Oh, and FYI, the Solvang Restaurant serves their aebelskiver with raspberry jam (seedless) and powdered sugar. I like using Swansons fruit syrups (boysenberry or raspberry or strawberry) and powdered sugar.

This is what they do in the Solvang Restaurant (I watched them for a very long time, so I coul

The pan you get will depend on what kind of heat you're cooking over (gas, electric coil, or glass top). You can go to this website: http://www.solvangrestaurant.com/

They'll tell you which pan is best. You can also buy their mix, with is wonderful! It's so good, I sometimes eat them plain. Not sweet, just yummy. :o)

Thanks for the link. I've been wanting a pan, but all that I could find were either non-stick or preseasoned. It's nice to see that they have some "season it yourself" cast iron!