Menu

Earth Science / Astronomy

TN Mama

I was hoping to have an ah-ha moment by now about what to use for Science next year for 1st and 3rd grade. There are some great programs out there already put together (Elemental Science, R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, etc.), but for some strange reason I keep thinking about following WTM and doing it on our own.

I'm just not confident enough in myself to trust that I can cover everything I should cover. However, I winged it this year with Life Science and I think my daughter has learned & retained a good bit. Not sure I covered it all, actually I'm sure I didn't, but we had a good time and she probably got as much Science as her ps counterparts.

If you have put together or are in the process of putting together Earth/Astronomy for your children, did you use the spines recommended in WTM? What were items (books, kits, etc.) that you would consider essential or shouldn't miss? We do have a great library system, so access to books shouldn't be a problem. I would appreciate any guidance. I've learned so much from you wise people!

I have to say, my children know I'm online right now researching Science for next year and they're upstairs singing a song they've just made up about loving volcanos and not being able to wait to learn more about them. Love it!

Earth Science for Every Kid by van Cleave or The Earth Science Book by Dinah Zike are both great books. I did a co-op unit with a friend and about 10 kids for earth science. If I were just doing it for my own, I would use one of these books from start to finish and be done. It is simple and hands-on and straight-forward. You can follow up the topics with library books or a science encyclopedia.

Some other books we used -

How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World by Faith McNulty

Hill of Fire

The Big Rock by Bruce Hiscock

There is a Magic School Bus video about volcanoes forming islands that goes nicely too. There are a couple of MSB books too.

Cloud identification resources -

I can't find the link right now, but we did the best experiment with ice cubes. It was amazing for me to watch as well as the kids in the class. First, mix food coloring with water and freeze ( a really dark mixture will be nice). The next day, fill a glass cup or jar (tall and narrow works well) half full of oil, then half full of water almost to the tippy top so that you can get a surface tension demo after you put the ice in, then float the colored ice cube carefully on top. Observe it as it melts. It is amazing. Make sure you ask the kids at each stage what they think will happen and of course, don't tip the table.

We also explored out local geology and geography, went to local nature centers for talks from naturalists, tracked the phases of the moon, the location of the rising and setting sun, and stayed up late for a meteor shower.

I'm trying to plan Earth Science/Astronomy a la WTM for next year. I don't know if my ideas are any good or not (ask me next June), but I'm supplementing the last edition of WTM suggestions with a couple of Usborne Spotter's guides (the ones on Rocks and Minerals and The Night Sky) and hands-on stuff from More Mudpies to Magnets.

My dad is a science-type guy and a astronomy nut, so I'm having him look over my proposed syllabus for weaknesses.

I like what the previous poster suggested, though . . .

Mama Anna

You can do it! I know I shouldn't say that because I've written one the programs your looking at, but there it is;). Seriously, the point of the grammar stage is to fill them with information and to peak thier interest. This can be done in many ways...

-nature study(ie. pick up rocks on a walk and then go home and study them)

-experiments(Janice VanCleave books are great for this)

-library books(like the Let's Read and Find out series)

-a program(shameless plug for Elemental Science!)

There's no right or wrong way to do it. You've got two more run throughs to fill in all the gaps. Just follow your gut and thier interest and they will be fine.

Edited by Pata
adding more info

We're doing Earth/ Sapce next year. We've decided not to use the WTM suggestions. I found that my son was looking for just a little bit more than was being offered in the recommended books. I thought about using a "finished product" program, but found myself always supplementing everything. So, off to the library I went and here were my thoughts:

* Usborne Internet Linked Ency of Planet earth - we'll be using this for our spine

* Eye Wonder books by DK - we liked these

* Kingfisher Young Knowledge Planet Earth - Chancellor - simple text

Activites will likely come out of:

* The Earth Science Book

* Geography Book

* Science Smart

* Usborne Complete Book of Astronomy & Space - this will be our spine

Activties will come out of:

* Out-of-this-world astronomy : 50 amazing activities & projects

* The Young Astronomer

* All About Space

We're in the process of putting our own schedule together using a spine, the library and activities. It's rough, but I'd be happy to share if you want to e-mail or PM me.

Karena

I was hoping to have an ah-ha moment by now about what to use for Science next year for 1st and 3rd grade. There are some great programs out there already put together (Elemental Science, R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, etc.), but for some strange reason I keep thinking about following WTM and doing it on our own.

I'm just not confident enough in myself to trust that I can cover everything I should cover. However, I winged it this year with Life Science and I think my daughter has learned & retained a good bit. Not sure I covered it all, actually I'm sure I didn't, but we had a good time and she probably got as much Science as her ps counterparts.

If you have put together or are in the process of putting together Earth/Astronomy for your children, did you use the spines recommended in WTM? What were items (books, kits, etc.) that you would consider essential or shouldn't miss? We do have a great library system, so access to books shouldn't be a problem. I would appreciate any guidance. I've learned so much from you wise people!

I have to say, my children know I'm online right now researching Science for next year and they're upstairs singing a song they've just made up about loving volcanos and not being able to wait to learn more about them. Love it!

Have confidence in yourself, esp. after having such a great time winging it with the life science. If you can introduce them to the basic "bones" of each science, using those WTM rec'd spines, then let them choose within each area which topics to read further about. That's what I like about the WTM recs - they are starting points to give an overview, but not meant to be complete in themselves. We'll be doing earth/space next year with the WTM recs for grammar stage. Ds used them when he was in grammar stage, and we just supplemented with lots of library books. We did buy a couple of other things like the Usborne science encyclopedia, and that has been a fabulous resource for both kids for years and will continue to be. We also got one of the spotter's guides - my kids had a blast with that. And we did projects when we could, but mostly it was reading/narrating. Oh, and library videos were fun, too. And we took a trip to the local observatory one evening. But trust yourself - it sounds like you DO know what you are doing.

We picked up a copy of Holst's The Planets http://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Holst-Planets-Op-32/dp/B000003CU0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242067437&sr=8-10 when we did astronomy this year. My son really enjoyed listening to it.

Thanks for this great suggestion!

I'm also wondering if anyone has read any of the Miss Pickerel books aloud for science? The original four books in the series are by Ellen MacGregor and were written in the 1950's (I think). The series was continued after she died. The science in her stories is a bit dated but is factual for the time period.

TN mama, I'm in the same boat as you for science next year (grades of kiddos and all). I haven't even had time to look at samples of curricula online, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll tweak any program to death. I HIGHLY recommend, if you haven't already, listening to SWB's CD "Science in the Classical Curriculum". I apologize if I've got the title partially wrong - I didn't look at the CD really; just popped it into the CD player in the van. Can you tell by my posts that I spend alot of time in that darn van? lol

Anyhow, sitting down w/ this CD and taking notes would really give clarity to: 1) your overall goal in sci. for your dc's grade/age level, 2) help you define your direction, and 3) a detailed description of how to implement them. It's around 5 bucks at PHP and worth more than that (for me anyhow), for bringing all the detailed instructions in TWTM in under one cohesive 'perspective umbrella'. It helped me get the big picture.

HTH!

TN mama, I'm in the same boat as you for science next year (grades of kiddos and all). I haven't even had time to look at samples of curricula online, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll tweak any program to death. I HIGHLY recommend, if you haven't already, listening to SWB's CD "Science in the Classical Curriculum". I apologize if I've got the title partially wrong - I didn't look at the CD really; just popped it into the CD player in the van. Can you tell by my posts that I spend alot of time in that darn van? lol

Anyhow, sitting down w/ this CD and taking notes would really give clarity to: 1) your overall goal in sci. for your dc's grade/age level, 2) help you define your direction, and 3) a detailed description of how to implement them. It's around 5 bucks at PHP and worth more than that (for me anyhow), for bringing all the detailed instructions in TWTM in under one cohesive 'perspective umbrella'. It helped me get the big picture.

HTH!

Thank you for the info on the cds. I was looking at all the cds offered on the php website the other day. There are several I'd like to order, but I thought I'd wait to see if there would be some from the Va. conference first. I'm writing this one down!

Oops--just saw you wanted 1st & 3rd. This might work better with a little older student. More thoughts below.

How the Universe Works

Supplemented with Astronomy for Every Kid by Janice Van Cleave (JVC)

Read, do experiments and write brief notes.

Spaceship Earth

The living planet

Time and place

Earth as a magnet (2-in. nail, horseshoe magnet, ruler, play-dough, compass, thread)

JVC--#47 Night Lights (Paper punch, tissue paper, balloon)

Find your latitude (Scott’s viewer)

The time of day

Finding north

Sundial (paper plate, pencil)

The time at night

JVC--#59 Star Clock (Umbrella, chalk)

(We will map the Big Dipper as it goes around Polaris throughout the school year)

Year after year

(We will find and be able to locate the constellations on the Zodiac)

Our window into space

Why is the sky blue and the sunset red? (glass gallon jug, bleach, flashlight)

JVC--#45 Trapped (Straw, bar magnet, iron filings)

JVC--#93 Darkness

Light pollution

Breaking free

Rockets—made for 4-H (enasco.com)

Space laboratories

JVC--#97 Free Fall (plastic cup, clay)

The Moon

Earth’s satellite

The Earth and the Moon

The Moon’s orbit

JVC--#54 Face Forward

Lunar eclipse

Moon spotting

JVC--#50 Shiner (Bicycle reflector)

JVC--#52 Changes (Styrofoam ball or small ball)

Making a moon dial (Make a moon dial on paper. Observe 1 month. Mark dates.)

Mapping the Moon

Mapping the moon (photocopy p. 49 & enlarge for maps)

The Moon’s surface

Gravity and the Moon

Measuring the Acceleration caused by gravity (2 balls—same size different weights)

Going to the Moon

How much can you lift on the moon? (1/2 gallon Orange Juice, jugs)

JVC--#48 Moving Target (String, washer)

Review/Test

The Solar System

A planetary family

The Solar System to scale

Size of planets (peppercorns, peas, plums—2, grapefruit—1, large orange—1)

Planets on the move

JVC--#5 Quicker

JVC--#22 Curves(small paper cup, dark paper)

Mercury

JVC--#6 Hidden

JVC--#7 Cover Up

Venus

JVC--#9 Hot Box (2 thermometers, tall jar with lid)

(Observe the phases of Venus with binoculars or telescope)

Mars

Why Mars is red (sand, steel wool)

Exploring Mars

Testing for life (3 jars, sand, salt, yeast, baking powder, labels, sugar)

Jupiter

JVC--#15 Red Spot (1-gal. Jar, tea bag)

JVC--#16 Glimmer (Flashlight, baby powder)

JVC--#19 Charged (Wool cloth, plastic)

Saturn

JVC--#20 See Through (Poster board)

Uranus

Backlit rings (clear litter bottle, candle, flashlight)

Neptune

The condensing atmosphere on Triton

JVC--#27 How Far? (Tack board, tacks, string)

Pluto and Planet X

Planetary probes

JVC--#87 Bouncer (Flashlight, mirror)

Comets

(Build a wall with play-dough on a study piece of cardboard. Rotate a marble inside.)

Shooting stars

Why meteors are hot

The Sun

Our local star

The Sun’s energy

The heat of the sun (Chocolate bar, magnifying glass)

A star close up

A sunspot projector (poster board—2, binoculars)—2 days

The Sun’s Light

(Prism)

Inside the Sun

Ringing like a bell (cooking oil)

The solar cycle

Solar eclipse

JVC--#35 Blackout

Review/Test

The Stars

Starlight and star life

Star theater

The constellations

Dialing the stars

(Learn to use the planisphere)

Starlight

JVC--#62 Spreader

JVC--#63 Brighter (Aluminum foil, black paper

How far are the stars?

JVC--# 61 Distant Stars (Modeling clay)

Red giants and white dwarfs

Double trouble

Star birth

How stars are born (bicycle pump)

JVC--#70 Silhouette (Lamp)

Star death

Why stars explode (2 balls)

Pulsars and black holes

JVC--#60 Shrinking (2 balloons, glass jars)

JVC--#68 Unequal (9 in. balloon)

The Cosmos

Galaxies and beyond

The Milky Way

JVC--#67 Hazy (Paper punch, black paper)

Mapping the Milky Way

The structure of our Galaxy

Galaxies galore

Galaxy Spotting

Clusters of galaxies

Quasars

The expanding Universe

Big Bang to Big Crunch

Is anyone there?

Stars of the northern skies

(Child needs to be able to find basic summer and winter constellations)

Stars of the southern skies

Review/Test

Possible projects: Telescope (p. 12); Building your own Galileo model (p. 83)

Edited by Jean in Wisc

When I did astronomy in 3rd grade, I used Rey's Find the Constellations. We copied the constellations onto paper and stuck them on the ceiling and walls in the kitchen--some with connecting lines and some without. At meals we tried to identify them. At night we went out and looked for them in the night sky. In the back of the book, there is a page of first stars to come out at night--if you don't know the night sky, this is priceless!!!!!! It helps you find the location of the constellations in the sky. This book was fun and informative--and I still use what I learned to explain things to people who come for our night sky viewings at our astronomy club. Nice book.

You can use Janice Van Cleave for hands on, or, if you want to save that for another unit when the kids are older, I like this little book: Astronomy Activity Book..

Getting a green laser pointer (not to be played with by kids--dangerous for the eyes) is the best thing you can add to your night sky viewing. They are cheap on ebay. This is the one I have--the GPA5. Look at the specs and then you can find something with the same power (532 nm wavelength) on ebay for a whole lot less :).

HTH,

Jean

Thank you for the info on the cds. I was looking at all the cds offered on the php website the other day. There are several I'd like to order, but I thought I'd wait to see if there would be some from the Va. conference first. I'm writing this one down!

The science CD is great, for all the reasons the other posted listed!! I've listened to it several times. Also, the VA conf. ones, we were told, would not be ready until fall.