Menu

Tell me about Lamplighter books

ELaurie

I LOVE these books! If I had $1500 sitting around I'd buy the whole set. They are definitely Christian in nature, but if that is what you are looking for then they are perfect. They are books that make you think hard, cry sometimes, but always draw you in and make you want more.

The books are so beautiful too. I imagine they would look just as good a 100 years from now, which is why I am having such a hard time finding a used set.

I would love to flesh them out and write a curriculum based on these books, but that is just a pipe dream.

Homeschool Buyers Coop may do a special buy on these books. I really hope so.

I would recommend getting 1-2 and pre-reading them though. I like the ones I have borrowed and the few I own, but some are indeed more "real" than many children's books recommended in homeschooling circles and you need to weigh if that's right for you. Each title is different, but they sometimes have situations of extreme poverty, abandonment, loss of a parent, etc. that may or may not be for your family. The quality of writing varies some as well. I bought one of the adult ones about a year ago that I just could not plough through, so I sold it.

A good source of literature, but like anything, worth scanning before you hand it over...

Which ones would you recommend for ds 9 and 6 ?

They have books listed by age and one group is for 6-11 I believe. This set is geared for smaller children and they have an older children's set and young adult too. They also have group sets based on character traits.

Oh, they do have more picture books which are perfect for younger children.

I agree that some of the books are more "real", but I have found that they can open the door for appropriate discussion of difficult circumstances. That said, I prefer the happy ones.:) They do come in handy for reference when I am talking to my kids about their own behavior.

I also love these books. They highlight Christian values, many of which seem to be lost in our modern culture. When reading these many times I am amazed at what we've lost as Christians, the ideals, the behaviors.

I have bought some for read-a-louds for my children, and more for myself. I am improved by reading them; I become a better person and a better mom at least for a little while.

I know nothing of the content, but I noticed them yesterday at the Homeschool Convention. I noticed them because they are so dignified looking, like the well made books from 50 years ago. I had my hands full, so I did not examine them closely, but from just looking over the table, the books themselves were so beautifully made, that is what got my attention. The bindings, and just outside of them reminded me of my mothers beloved book collections, that were so very pretty. Again, from a cosmetic view, they were very lovely, regal looking books. :)

I also love these books. They highlight Christian values, many of which seem to be lost in our modern culture. When reading these many times I am amazed at what we've lost as Christians, the ideals, the behaviors.

I have bought some for read-a-louds for my children, and more for myself. I am improved by reading them; I become a better person and a better mom at least for a little while.

:iagree:Very well said.

I agree with others, that it is good to preview the books if possible. I've liked some better than others.

You asked which are best for your children and I need to exclaim loudly, Teddy's Button! They have a beautiful picture book of this wonderful story. The spiritual truths taught in it are profound and perfect for the struggles of a young child. The conversion story in it is genuine and believable and there is plenty of conflict to keep the kids interested. Gotta get it!

I am enjoying your reviews, and I look forward to reading some of these books with my dc. They sound wonderful. Right now i am sobbing my way through the last two chapters of These Happy Golden Years. Laura and Almanzo are getting married tomorrow morning; Pa is playing his fiddle on her last night at home, and I am a joyful mess :tongue_smilie:

My boys think I am just loony, but we are having such fun reading this entire series out loud. Happy Golden Years indeed . . . and a Happy Mother's Day to all :)