Menu

Online class in teaching Singapore math models

stripe

I just received a catalog in the mail from a local community college, and contained within was a brief reference to this 6 week long class, taught online (and eligible for continuing education units for teachers):

Singapore Math Strategies: Model Drawing for Grades 1-6

I found it interesting and thought it might prove useful for some of those wanting more information on how to teach with modeling, Singapore style. (I think the class is $90.)

Before I gave up and started using cybershala I was drooling over a 1 week class someone was having in Singapore. The itenerary went something like arrive on Sunday, classes Monday throughThursday, a trip doing I can't remember what on Friday and fly out on Saturday. There were also "cultural excursions" for evenings. I really wanted to go. ;)

Sounds from the description that it is an adaptation of 8-step model drawing which is an adaptation of model drawing as taught in Primary Mathematics, and it is not model drawing as originally developed in Singapore. Might help with simpler math problems in US texts, but maybe not the kind in Challenging Word Problems.