Menu

Chelation For Autism

Does anyone here have any personal experience with chelation for autism? I took my PDD-NOS child to a DAN doctor this week and he thinks we should try it. I've read some on-line about chelation, and now I'm torn about whether we should try it or not.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with chelation for autism? I took my PDD-NOS child to a DAN doctor this week and he thinks we should try it. I've read some on-line about chelation, and now I'm torn about whether we should try it or not.

This is a... very sensitive subject for me.

I would strongly suggest that you read all you can about chelation and the origin of DAN (and not from their own site).

Autism is a difference in genetic coding, not a condition overlapping the human body that can be "eliminated" through the ingestion of potentially toxic substances.

I have a friend who is a) Autistic and b) had to undergo chelation for heavy metal poisoning. She is still just as autistic as she was before.

I realize that there are loud voices on both sides of this issue, and that many, many parents are desperate in their quests to help their children, but IMO, chelation is not a valid avenue to pursue.

asta

I second Asta. Chelation may help a very, VERY few cases - most autism will NOT be caused by heavy metal toxicity. Be wary of any doctor who tries to sell you on a treatment or cure that financially benefits said doctor.

More kids benefit from GFCF diets or treatment for underlying seizure disorders (mine kid fits the second - uncovered AFTER we thoroughly tried GFCF, rotation diet, allergies, ABA (which helped some). He is one of the kids who needs to be on Depakote (and Prednisone for a time)...BUT that only means that is what he needs.

His older, very autistic cousin did not start the anti-seizure meds until he was ten. Turned out he has the same underlying seizure disorder as part of his autism. The family had spend a few years and tons of $$$ pursuing treatment from Pfieffer (vitamins, etc.) before going to our kid's pediatric neuro. Nothing helped until he was on Depakote.

Chelation may help your kid - it probably won't, though. It is hard not to run after whatever miracle "cure" one learns of, though, when one ahs a young child on the autism spectrum. It s*cks that there is no simple blood test to tell us what causes any one kid's autism and thus how to treat it.

Look at the book by Michael Chez Autism and Its Medical Management: A Guide for Parents and Professionals you can find it at Amazon. Note - I do not think the DAN doctors like Chez ;) (the feeling is mutual).

I've read some very interesting things about a biofilm protocol that may be worth considering first, IMO. In short, the idea is to use natural (non-chemical) foods and food agents that may help the body rid itself of bacteria, yeast, etc., and as a byproduct, the body *may* dump metals -- without EDTA.

I'm attaching a link to a video about the biofilm protocol by Dr. Anju Usman. Dr Usman sometimes uses EDTA in her biofilm protocol, but it can be done in a more natural way with things like apple cider vinegar and digestive enzymes, along with gut-healing supplements and toxin removal.

Because some kids dump metals when the biofilm is removed, and b/c it can be done in a more gentle way without EDTA, I'd see if you're a candidate for that protocol before doing something like EDTA.

HIH,

Lisa

http://www.autism.com/danwebcast/videoflv.asp?flv=sd08-40-biofilms_usman.flv&h=480&w=640&VID=86

I've not had a lot of experience with DAN doctors, but am aware of their controversial treatments. Any doctor, unless we're looking at a medical emergency, should use common sense and try the least medically invasive treatments available before moving up into higher risk categories.

You didn't mention trying anything previous to considering chelation. Have you tried nutritional supplements and dietary changes already? Your DAN doctor should do testing to determine if there are certain nutrients lacking in his body, if he has underlying allergies, and if he's sensitive to certain types of foods. The nutritional approach is not for everyone but it's so noninvasive to try before resorting to chelation, which I consider much more drastic.