Menu

Is Chemistry Required or just recommended?

I honestly don't know. My oldest had chemistry, but then she was a science-loving kid who later received her degree in biology. My second dd is a writer, interested in pursuing an English degree. Would it be a transcript faux pas to have her take Environmental Science (Oak Meadow) instead? Thanks~

Ginger

If you are going for a highschool diploma from your state, check their requirements. If you're not concerned about that, I think you only need to check what the colleges he'd be apply to want. Look in one of those huge college application guides or check some college websites. Some colleges seems to be more specific about what they want to see. I do think chemistry and biology are considered the basics, though.

Guest Katia

In our experience, no, it is not required.

We did our own transcripts (not through a school or program) and neither my ds or my dd took Chemistry. Both were accepted in every college they applied to. That would be......9 different colleges ranging from State U's, private LACs, music conservatories, Christian U's and community colleges each in different states.

Ds has graduated with his BA and dd is finishing up her freshman year at college.

We have debated this same issue with dd left at home: take Chemistry her last year or not? She doesn't need it as she's already taken 4 high school level science classes, so.....honestly, I don't think we will. She just doesn't need it for where she is going and I know she can get accepted into the Uni she is looking at without it.

What is considered 'basic' to some is simply not 'basic' to others, kwim? Homeschooling is great that way; you can look at each individual child and do what is best for *them*.

Thank you! I am relieved. She did Apologia Physical Science in 9th and Biology this year, but we were both dreading chemistry. :tongue_smilie: I think we'll go for Environmental Science this fall. Blessings~

Ginger

My teen did not take Biology (another standard science); she did take four years of science. None of the colleges seemed to have an issue with it.

Regards,

Kareni

Opps. When I mentioned some would require Physical Science or Biology, I meant was that such requirement would be for high school diploma, not for college admission. For the college admission, I am not aware of any special requirement in science except requiring total 3 or 4 credits.