Menu

Please help me decide.....

mommy25

between FLL 3 or CLE Language Arts or Growing with Grammar....my thoughts are as follows...

FLL3 - I want to use the materials designed by SWB but I HATE scripted lessons.

CLE - I like this because it incorporates handwriting, spelling and diagramming. It also lends itself to the student working independently as they get older.

GWG - I love the format but it has not been around long enough.

I want to stick with whatever I choose.

Thanks for your input!

FLL3 - I want to use the materials designed by SWB but I HATE scripted lessons.

I have not used GWG or CLE, but I am loving FLL. (After much trial and error with my older children)

You do not have to teach FLL as scripted. You will just need to read over each lesson beforehand so you can teach it in your own way. I like it that the scripting is there for times that my explanations fall short, but usually I teach FLL "in my own words". On days that I'm really tired or distracted, the scripting is a great backup and makes more sense than I do.:)

HTH,

Leanna

FLL3 is scripted, but I read over it first and then teach it. It would seem unnatural to read it or repeat things that many times, but the script is helpful to point out what I'm supposed to teach. My ds8 likes this program a lot and it is certainly easy to teach. I haven't seen the other programs.

CLE looks like the best for you.

Have the looked at the CLE S&S and samples?

I agree, based on your comments.

However, we chose Growing With Grammar, and we love it. It's recommended to be used 3 days a week, but it's a subject my kids ask to do daily! My 6 1/2 year old loves it and says it is one of her favorite subjects. My 8 1/2 year old also likes it and doesn't ever grumble about doing it. I will say that I sometimes cut down on the writing for them, but that is mainly on days that they are doing a lot of other writing elsewhere (works for us, but may not be an issue for you.) There are just enough exercises and review for my kids. We are currently using book 3 and book 1, but ds did book 2 last year.

If I were you, I would take a closer look at both CLE and GWG. :001_smile:

You can't choose in a vacuum like that. I say get all 3 and try them. CLE will send you a free unit, and you could print from the online samples for FLL and GWG. Or even buy them all. You can easily sell off what doesn't work. You don't want to make a long-term decision based on board comments. You're wise to order a dab of each, try them, and decide for yourself.

Is there any reason R&S isn't on your list? It's not heavily scripted and has a good track record. Seems like it would meet your criteria.

I was all set to use GWG, I even purchased it, but then I got a good deal on FLL used and so I thought what the heck I'll get it and see what the hype is about. I didn't think that ds would like the scripted lessons. But lo and behold he loves it and so we are sticking with it. There is nothing like sitting in your own home and flipping though the books to get a good feel. I'm not good at scanning books while in a store or at a convention. Last yr for the price of the convention I purchased about 3 different math programs used and had my own little homeschool convention at home LOL and guess what? I can recoup my convention fees by selling the materials I decided against:tongue_smilie:

I have used all three and I prefer, hands down, CLE LA. :)

How do you feel about the spelling in CLE? Its hard to look at a scope and sequence and be able to tell how thorough the spelling is. How would you compare it to Spelling Workout?

You can't choose in a vacuum like that. I say get all 3 and try them. CLE will send you a free unit, and you could print from the online samples for FLL and GWG. Or even buy them all. You can easily sell off what doesn't work. You don't want to make a long-term decision based on board comments. You're wise to order a dab of each, try them, and decide for yourself.

Is there any reason R&S isn't on your list? It's not heavily scripted and has a good track record. Seems like it would meet your criteria.

I agree with what you are saying.....there are just so many things that I like about all of them. Thats why the choice is hard to make. We have tried R+S before and we do not like having to write out all of the answers and there are so many problems. I would only assign a certain number of problems but the kids felt that they "should" do all of them in order to do it "right." But then they would get burned out.