Menu

Scholarship searches

NYChristine

Anyone know of a good way to search for scholarships. I'm finding a lot of marketing ploys under the guise of scholarships while internet surfing. Any legit sites.........anyone gotten some really good scholarships independantly?? Any help appreciated. TIA.

The colleges themselves are your best and easiest source of scholarships.

Some colleges have separate applications (and sometimes even different application dates) for merit scholarships. Some colleges just consider all applicants for their scholarships.

If scholarship money is important to you, do investigate your child's desired colleges with an eye towards how they handle merit money.

Some colleges give a lot of small merit scholarships; some colleges give few but significant merit scholarships; some give only pathetic amounts of merit aid; some give no merit aid at all.

My kids applied to their "dream schools" but they also applied to some schools that had more generous merit aid possibilities as well as state schools that we knew we could afford. For example, my dd applied to two schools that offered a few full-ride scholarships, a local highly-regarded state school, and four private schools that offered a maximum of 1/2-tuition scholarships. We figured with that mix that she should both get in and be able to afford at least one of the schools.

Have you tried Fastweb.com. You register and fill in all kids info and they do the weeding. They email all the scholarships that come up and you apply for ones you like.

We have found quite a few that look promising. I think I got the website from dd's current school.

Anyone know of a good way to search for scholarships. I'm finding a lot of marketing ploys under the guise of scholarships while internet surfing. Any legit sites.........anyone gotten some really good scholarships independantly?? Any help appreciated. TIA.

Most libraries have one of the annual books that list scholarships. They are typically sorted in the book a couple of ways (by state, by interest, by organization).

I wouldn't discount the time invested with a pot of coffee and one of these books jotting down all the possible scholarships. I think that it might make you think of very local scholarships that might not have the same competition as the big national prizes. Or it might remind you of an association that you're connected with that does give scholarships. DH worked hard over the past couple years to prove membership eligibility to Sons of the American Revolution, partly because he loves family history and partly because he knew that these groups often have scholarships.

Remember that $100 or $250 might seem small compared to scholarships in the thousands, but it still might mean being able to buy books (which are pricey).

One reason I recommend the books is that they have so many listings. And I know what they are selling, the book itself. They aren't selling advertising and they aren't collecting personal info for mailing lists. With an online site, I'm just not sure what I'd be getting. (And I would never pay a site for scholarship info. They pretty much give out what is in the books.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)