Menu

Great Latin Adventure - how long has this program been around?

anewday

From what I've seen of the samples, read on their website and from reviews here, I'm actually considering taking Latin back up again after 2 failed attempts this year and last. GULP. And WITHOUT DVD's at that (I think I'm nuts)...

So anyway...from what I was able to tell, the program was written in 2007...perhaps published in 2008. Being Latin illiterate and not so good at grammar (though my dd is! :)), I'm just wondering if a "new" program like this is a good idea. Likely every new curric goes through an ironing out phase in the initial few years of it's release...so I'm a little nervous about taking the leap into new territory so-to-speak. There is always the possibility that some errors wouldn't manifest themselves until down the road when taking more advanced Latin....

Would love input from those of you who've used GLA and felt it was successful. Particularly those of you who got hives just thinking about teaching Latin before you found it. LOL:lol:

I hesitate to ask this in case I'm wrong.... but was this the Latin program that Amy from Writing Tales knew the writers? If so, I think it developed from the author teaching Latin in a co-op? I remember it was supposed to be out last year but they kept waiting on website updates to get it on the market?

I don't trust my memory to be accurate on any of that, but if it rings a bell maybe someone else will chime in!

Lynn

Edited by Another Lynn
typo

Hi there,

I have taught GLA in my co-op classes for five years now. So you can be certain that this is not a newly-written program! Newly-published, yes, but the author took her time getting it out onto the market.

I can say with certainty for all of you that there are NO errors in this program! I am very very familiar with it. We found just a few errors while teaching the program before it was published, and Katharine took care of them right away. She's very very thorough and spent even more hours going through it again and again before publishing it.

And I am not the only one who has been using it. Another co-op has been using it as well, and a local Christian school. There may be others that I am not aware of who have been testing it for her too.

Hope this answers your question! If you have any more, please feel free to ask away!

Blessings,

I have a question: How friendly is it for people like me, and the OP, who are Latin illiterate? I'd like a program that the child can do on their own mostly, or one that is VERY friendly, and holds my hand all the way through!

Dawn,

I would challenge you to find any errors in the pages of The Great Latin Adventure! Although it may have just been published in 2008, it was written about 10 years ago and has gone through significant revisions! It was used in pilot form in a classical Christian school and in a classical co-op. This program has been thoroughly proofread by many eyes over the year. It was with much encouragement that the author published the program for home school use.

In the "Acknowledgements" portion of Vol. I, the author states that she had the help of an expert reviewer. The author is a bit of a linguist herself, having studied Latin, French, and Russian in college. It was no novice who wrote this program!

My oldest daughter went through the first edition of this program back in her elementary years and then went on to tackle Wheelock's Latin throughout her junior high and early high school years. My second two children went through the second and third "pilot" editions of GLA and easily slid into Latin Road by Barbara Beers. GLA is a GREAT foundation for any high-school level (such as Beer's) or college-level (Wheelock's) Latin program. Nothing they learned in GLA had to be unlearned or corrected with these higher-level programs.

Hi there,

I have taught GLA in my co-op classes for five years now. So you can be certain that this is not a newly-written program! Newly-published, yes, but the author took her time getting it out onto the market.

I can say with certainty for all of you that there are NO errors in this program! I am very very familiar with it. We found just a few errors while teaching the program before it was published, and Katharine took care of them right away. She's very very thorough and spent even more hours going through it again and again before publishing it.

And I am not the only one who has been using it. Another co-op has been using it as well, and a local Christian school. There may be others that I am not aware of who have been testing it for her too.

Hope this answers your question! If you have any more, please feel free to ask away!

Blessings,

Very helpful, thank you! :001_smile:

Dawn,

I would challenge you to find any errors in the pages of The Great Latin Adventure! Although it may have just been published in 2008, it was written about 10 years ago and has gone through significant revisions! It was used in pilot form in a classical Christian school and in a classical co-op. This program has been thoroughly proofread by many eyes over the year. It was with much encouragement that the author published the program for home school use.

In the "Acknowledgements" portion of Vol. I, the author states that she had the help of an expert reviewer. The author is a bit of a linguist herself, having studied Latin, French, and Russian in college. It was no novice who wrote this program!

My oldest daughter went through the first edition of this program back in her elementary years and then went on to tackle Wheelock's Latin throughout her junior high and early high school years. My second two children went through the second and third "pilot" editions of GLA and easily slid into Latin Road by Barbara Beers. GLA is a GREAT foundation for any high-school level (such as Beer's) or college-level (Wheelock's) Latin program. Nothing they learned in GLA had to be unlearned or corrected with these higher-level programs.

You are all so knowledgable! :) I couldn't take you up on the challenge because I have to rely on people like you who know Latin! LOL

I read the author's credentials earlier today and was very impressed!

:)

I have a question: How friendly is it for people like me, and the OP, who are Latin illiterate? I'd like a program that the child can do on their own mostly, or one that is VERY friendly, and holds my hand all the way through!

Oh my goodness, SO friendly! I think that's one of the program's strengths. Anyone who doesn't know a stitch of Latin can easily pick up the program and guide their children through the book as if they were experts. As one of the reviewers said, it's like having your OWN Latin expert on hand to help you out!

For those of you who have older children, say - 5th grade and above -, these children could easily go through the program on their own, with you on hand to answer questions from the Teacher's Notes if needed.

Sally,

It really depends upon the 3rd grader! My daughters were quick learners and we started with GLA when they were each in the 3rd grade. Yet, my son wasn't ready for GLA until he was well into the 4th grade (after Christmas I think). However, he indicated a desire to "do Latin" like his sisters, so I had him memorize a bunch of the Latin vocabulary words from the early chapters of GLA using flashcards we had made up. He loved that! By the time he started the grammar of GLA, he already had a bunch Latin words under his belt, which gave him a good running start.

One of the many beauties of homeschooling is that you can go at a pace that is comfortable for each individual child. If you want to start your 3rd grader in GLA, go for it! Even if you only complete the first half of Volume I the first year, that's okay! Yet, GLA is not at all "babyish" and it would even benefit a 7th grader who hasn't had any Latin. A 7th grader could probably complete Volumes I and II in one year. I even read somewhere on the WTM boards that this was the plan of one mother for her 7th grader. I can see that being quite workable.