Menu

Does anyone follow all/most of TWTM curriculum?

marianne

I will start home schooling my DS in a couple of months after he completes Kindergarten at a public school. Of course I am researching like crazy, but really liked the info in The Well-Trained Mind. I am waiting for the newly revised edition to arrive before making my final decisions, but wanted to know what others are doing.

Does anyone use all the recommendations in the book? I'd love to hear anyone and everyone weigh in.

If you're referring to her suggested daily schedule, which seems daunting, I doubt if anyone does. SWB admitted that she put the suggested schedule in the book mostly at the publisher's request.

I would suspect that most folks here follow a good chunk of it. I consider us followers, even though some of our curricula choices aren't SWB's highest recommended choices.

I don't think anyone does everything in the book, that's not even what's supposed to happen. I don't think it's humanly possible.

However, I do follow WTM pretty closely. We do Classical Writing as well, but otherwise, everything we do is right from the book--I just don't do all of it. You can see my sig for details.:001_smile:

I feel like we do all of it...well, we didn't do picture study this past year, but we did drawing lessons. We don't use all of our sources from her recs. For example, we use All About Spelling instead of Spelling Workout. But, AAS is a rule-based program, which is the important point in the spelling section.

The method is more important than the specifics, IMO. From reading TWTM, I decided that I wanted my kids to learn history chronologically. I decided that I wanted to follow one science topic for a year. But, we'll be using R.E.A.L. science for this next year instead of her recs. I want my kids reading and narrating A LOT. I want to use narration, copywork, and dictation to teach writing at this stage. These are some of the important things that I took away from TWTM.