Menu

Did Borders switch to a "homeschoolers" discount card?

I seem to remember reading in the last issue of Old Schoolhouse that Borders was trying to switch homeschoolers from using the old "educators" card to one that was specifically for homeschoolers. The discount was the same, but they were trying to track more specifically what percentage of thier business was actually homeschoolers, and wanted us to trade in old cards for new. Also, Borders was planning on carrying more homeschool curriculum, and this was all starting in February.

Has anyone switched their card? Had problems? And since I'm not buying new books this year (for myself, that is) we aren't doing are usual weekly bookstore runs--has Borders really added significantly more curriculum?

Thanks!

Has anyone switched their card? Had problems? And since I'm not buying new books this year (for myself, that is) we aren't doing are usual weekly bookstore runs--has Borders really added significantly more curriculum?

Thanks!

My teacher discount card was still good the last time I shopped there, but it expires soon. Ours does have a good selection of education books that I would consider to be homeschool related or homeschool friendly. They carry a lot of unit study type books or Scholastic teacher books that I would consider using. They also had First Language Lessons and one of the volumes of Story of the World.

I do wish that the children's section was stronger and not so full of fluff and twadle. Though that may owe as much to failing public schools and a wide swath of kids who don't read as to any store policy. They are, of course, going to stock what sells.