Menu

Junior Great Books

Jen500

I used the read-aloud books selectively in a K-2 class I taught many years ago. I also took the shared-inquiry teacher training course. I found the stories really sparked great discussions, even with little kids. I'm not sure how well they would work in a homeschool environment with fewer kids. I notice you have twins: three (yourself included) would make a better discussion than two, I would think. My main problem with the books was so many stories included magic, creation stories I consider false, etc. So many! I had to skip probably 1/3 of the stories, and I wouldn't consider myself uber-sensitive. We did read Jack and the Beanstalk, for example, even though it contained "magic" seeds.

I have a stack of the K-1 Read Alouds on my shelf, not quite sure what I'll do with them.

If you have specific questions about JGB, I'd be happy to answer as best as I can. The books change format around grade two or three, if I remember correctly.

Ds10 did JGBs online this year (5th grade) and I was less than impressed.

Let me put it this way: Ds has major language/comprehension issues. I found the program rather blah, so I let him work all but the first story on his own (and with his online class). He got an A.

Something just doesn't add up there!

Thank you for your input. I don't recognize most of the stories in the anthologies, and I have no idea if my dc would enjoy them. I'd like to have more book discussions with my dss9--they are advanced readers and have a large vocabulary, and I find it hard to keep up with all the books they read to even have a discussion. My friend's child uses JGB at his private school and she talks highly of the program, so I am curious.

Are the anthologies interesting enough to read on their own? Are the questions/activities in the student workbook or in the teacher's guide?

I'm not sure if it's the same program, but K-12 uses Junior Great Books in the Language Arts curriculum. It's only a small portion of the LA program. When it comes up in a lesson, I read a story aloud, then we discuss it, and there is usually an optional activity. I'm not sure if this is the same one you are looking at, but I like it.