Menu

Do your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?

Do you have your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?  

1. 1. Do you have your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes
    • We're not American
    • Other

Now, Canada would give up her seat to pretty much any country, but the US does have a pretty big butt, so she just figures that since the US is doing a mighty fine job of keeping that seat warm, then she'll just smile and be happy for them.

:lol: lol

No, we don't. I love my country and the ideals put forth in our constitution even if I don't always agree with the things done in her name. I have nothing but respect for the flag as a symbol of those ideals, but I find the practice of forcing children to recite a pledge everyday a bit disturbing (even more so after watching a documentory series called Hitler's Youth). I think it along with other things have the potential to teach a sort of blind patriotism that, while I want my children to love their country, I don't want them to adopt.

I'm not sure what the pledge and being grateful to those who have served and given their lives for our country really have to do with one another. We observe patriotic holidays and talk about why those days are special. They know that many good men have served and many have died so that we can enjoy the freedom and comfort we have here. It doesn't take a pledge to teach that.

All that being said they are familiar with the pledge and we leave it up to them whether or not they choose to participate at public ceremonies or stand quietly while others do.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Canada would give up her seat to pretty much any country, but the US does have a pretty big butt, so she just figures that since the US is doing a mighty fine job of keeping that seat warm, then she'll just smile and be happy for them.

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my gosh, this had me in stitches! hehehehe Ay, I don't know that much about Canadians I'm sorry to say, but one thing I know is that you guys have a good sense of humor! hehehe :D

At the beginning of each semester we go through each line of the pledge and the Lord's prayer, and we talk about what each line means, and what we are pledging allegiance to, and why.

You see, I think this is where I am struggling with the whole Pledge issue. I guess my fundamental problem is I've never been taught what it actually means. I was taught to say the pledge growing up, but never why or why we say it. When I think about the words of it, the individual lines really don't make much sense to me. The most I can get out of it is that the pledge is a promise to be loyal to the United States and to the republic for which it stands, but I'm not sure what even that means?? :confused::confused:

Is it just me being particularly thick? I really don't get what it is saying and what what that pledge actually requires of me. If someone can explain this to me I would be really grateful. :)

edit: I'm really enjoying reading everyone's responses. There are so many sides to this and it is fascinating to hear everyone's individual take. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

It's me again.

Special Mama pretty much summed it up. We are patriotic in a very reserved kind of way. Just like some families give hugs up and down the aunts and cousins, while others just hug their parents, patriotism is expressed differently. The US would be more like my extended South African family, giving hugs to everyone as they come in the door going we love you. Canada would be like my in-laws we love you and hug you twice a year:001_smile:

As far as other differences......on the reserved thing again, I had my kids at an indoor amusement park a few years ago. It has a kiddie area with lots of slides and tunnels and ball pits. Well, as my kids were running around I noticed that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were there with their kids. No kidding! I was a foot away from Brad Pitt.:D None of the parents asked them for their autographs. One mother talked to BP because her son and Maddox were playing together, and it was mostly normal parent stuff.

It is just not cool to rush up to famous people and ask for their autograph. All of the other parents seemed happy to let them have some peace and enjoy their kids. I don't know if it would be different in the US but that's how that situation was handled here. Don't know if that helps your understanding but that's my .02.

It's me again.

Special Mama pretty much summed it up. We are patriotic in a very reserved kind of way. Just like some families give hugs up and down the aunts and cousins, while others just hug their parents, patriotism is expressed differently. The US would be more like my extended South African family, giving hugs to everyone as they come in the door going we love you. Canada would be like my in-laws we love you and hug you twice a year:001_smile:

As far as other differences......on the reserved thing again, I had my kids at an indoor amusement park a few years ago. It has a kiddie area with lots of slides and tunnels and ball pits. Well, as my kids were running around I noticed that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were there with their kids. No kidding! I was a foot away from Brad Pitt.:D None of the parents asked them for their autographs. One mother talked to BP because her son and Maddox were playing together, and it was mostly normal parent stuff.

It is just not cool to rush up to famous people and ask for their autograph. All of the other parents seemed happy to let them have some peace and enjoy their kids. I don't know if it would be different in the US but that's how that situation was handled here. Don't know if that helps your understanding but that's my .02.

hehe Thanks for the clarification. It indeed helps. :) I guess that is why Brad and Angelina were in Canada because they know they'll be left alone. ;) :)

I actually am the same way with regards to famous people. I've seen 2 famous people in person in my life and both times I just left them alone. To me it's just a matter of privacy. If I was in there place I wouldn't want to be bothered so I don't bother them. :) I can't say that it would be the same for other Americans though because everytime I've ever told that to anyone their next questions is, "oh did you get their autograph?" hehehe But I'm sure there are plenty of other people like me in the States. I guess it all comes down to the personality of the person. :)