Menu

So SpyCar [AKA Bill]

I started the first book of LOF today with my daughter and she LOVED IT!! We did the first two chapters and she wanted to keep on going, but I had to start cooking dinner! hehehe She wants to hurry up and eat dinner now so we can do chapter 3 afterwards. Thanks again so much for the recommendation Spy Car. :)

Great news! Isn't it wonderful that there are resources out there to inspire and educate our children in ways that make them not want to put the book down.

I'm thrilled this is working out for her. Thanks for letting me know :001_smile:

We still have "The Life of Fred" ahead of us, but it sure looks like fun!

Bill

BTW I bought "Elementary Mathematics for Teachers" by Parker & Baldridge (link to Singapore Math's description); I think a person who seriously undertakes a study of this book would be qualified in the way described in Liping Ma's book -- genuinely comfortable and thoroughly understanding the basis of what underlies elementary mathematics.

BTW I bought "Elementary Mathematics for Teachers" by Parker & Baldridge (link to Singapore Math's description); I think a person who seriously undertakes a study of this book would be qualified in the way described in Liping Ma's book -- genuinely comfortable and thoroughly understanding the basis of what underlies elementary mathematics.

Wow! Coming from you I consider that the highest possible endorsement.

I've got a birthday coming up and I've been angling for the new Singapore Model book. Maybe now I ask for them both?? :001_smile:

Bill

Of all the things I've ever done introducing Cuisinaire rods to my son when he was young, and letting him find number value relationships via Miquon and Miquon-like activities of my own creation, stands (in my mind) as one of the best decisions I've ever made.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Incidentally, there is no charge to down-load the full program: workbooks, lesson plans, and additional teacher aids. But the no cost/low cost aspect of MEP is not where the value of this program lies. It is simply something very special for a parent and child who want to go far beyond a "traditional approach". Take a look, I have a feeling you will love this :001_smile:

Bill

Why didn't I thimnk of this until I saw your posts on it. If you go to Or. to teach can I move up there and get my dc in, please:D

I bought it used, by the way (thanks, WTM boards!). It's softcover and not very thick (hmm, sounds like Singapore math books) -- I wasn't willing to shell out $28 for it, let's put it that way.

I am working my way through it. (....I'm in the middle of chapter 1.) It's got information about the math and how to teach it -- for example, place value: what it means, different ways to look at it, what problems students have understanding it, and so on.

You can read an excerpt (longer than the one on the Singapore Math site) here, on the publisher's website.

And Liping Ma was one of their advisors on the book, incidentally.

I don't know when I became your math advisor. Yikes. Anyway, I like the Parker & Baldridge much better than the neon colored teaching guide also on Singapore Math's website, which I frankly found somewhat alarming (since it refers to all the things in the Primary Mathematics text that messed up the students, and subsequent curriculum changes, such as no longer using > and < signs, and referring to 3045 as being composed of three thousands, four tens, and 5 ones, which apparently was confusing (three thousands / three thousand)). I also got that "Learning Gap" book recently at a library book sale, along with yet another Algebra 2 text from the 1960s. Good God, my house is a math lab.

I bought it used, by the way (thanks, WTM boards!). It's softcover and not very thick (hmm, sounds like Singapore math books) -- I wasn't willing to shell out $28 for it, let's put it that way.

I am working my way through it. (....I'm in the middle of chapter 1.) It's got information about the math and how to teach it -- for example, place value: what it means, different ways to look at it, what problems students have understanding it, and so on.

You can read an excerpt (longer than the one on the Singapore Math site) here, on the publisher's website.

And Liping Ma was one of their advisors on the book, incidentally.

Interesting. As much as I was impacted my Liping Ma's book, I always felt like, OK I've bought the premise, what do I do now?

This work sound like it addresses that part of the equation.

I don't know when I became your math advisor. Yikes.

At the moment you started saying intelligent things that made sense to me. I'll happy expropriate good ideas from any source, even you :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I like the Parker & Baldridge much better than the neon colored teaching guide also on Singapore Math's website, which I frankly found somewhat alarming (since it refers to all the things in the Primary Mathematics text that messed up the students, and subsequent curriculum changes, such as no longer using > and < signs, and referring to 3045 as being composed of three thousands, four tens, and 5 ones, which apparently was confusing (three thousands / three thousand)). I also got that "Learning Gap" book recently at a library book sale, along with yet another Algebra 2 text from the 1960s. Good God, my house is a math lab.

If the newest book becomes too much of a storage burden you can always ship it to my house for safe-keeping :D

Bill (who has a stack of stuff so high at the moment he does not know what to do)

Edited by Spy Car

Great news! Isn't it wonderful that there are resources out there to inspire and educate our children in ways that make them not want to put the book down.

I'm thrilled this is working out for her. Thanks for letting me know :001_smile:

We still have "The Life of Fred" ahead of us, but it sure looks like fun!

Bill

It is wonderful indeed. This book was just a perfect fit for her. She LOVES to read stories and especially quirky ones so this one was just right up her alley. I was reading the book aloud to her and had her read the parts where Fred is either thinking or speaking or making a list of things and she would get so excited when her part was coming up and she would just jump right into it with so much gusto. It was great! I hope your son enjoys it as much when you get there. Thank you again. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer