Menu

If your child did get tested for giftedness how did it help?

We have been all over the place with my 6 year old son. He is very bright, very stubborn, very intense, and simply difficult (just like his Dad). He seems to hit most of the definitions of overexcitability. I want someone to tell me how to help him. We've just seen a basic psychologist and he recommends going to have him tested. But, insurance does not pay for that. I'm thinking we should just spend the money on a trampoline! He's doing well with school work. It's just his overall attitude and focus in outside classes that is an issue. He does not like to be told what to do. He wants to figure things out on his own! He doesn't want anyone to know that he's just 6! Any input? Thanks

Two separate answers

1. I waited until my dc were a little older to test them, and the only way it helped was to confirm the things that I already knew.

2. Have you looked at your son's diet? I've found that certain foods (mainly dairy and wheat) and additives (Red #40 in particular) caused behavior problems in my dc. When I eliminate the problem food, the problem behavior disappears. Many people have also told me that switching their dc from a processed diet to a whole foods, low sugar one helped a lot.

she has been so bossy lately. She doesn't want my help with anything (piano, reading, math, computer, spelling, cooking, etc.) either except cleaning her room :glare:. I keep thinking that it is her age. She is wanting more independence but gets frustrated because either her fingers or her body just won't let her yet. She can even be a bit of a daredevil when she is really determined.

Hi, this is my first time responding, I just joined this group a few weeks ago. There is so much experience here, I already have learned so much!

I had my three kids evaluated because the evaluation itself opened doors to programs and opportunities for them that I cannot duplicate at home and it gives them the chance to be with other kids who have the same interests. My sons were evaluated when they were each 8 years old. My husband and I have an eye on future opportunities, and we wanted to build up a paper trail of our kids' accomplishments/abilities. While I was at it I had my daughter evaluated when she was 4, and we redid the evaluation again a few months ago because I noticed significant improvement in some areas and I wanted to quantify that.

For what it's worth, my sons were quite squirrelly when they were 6 years old, and they have both settled down quite a bit. Except on beautiful spring days.....

Maria

For us... I have not done much differently with my oldest daughter. Her strengths and weaknesses are obvious and we didn't really need a test for her. We continued with what we were already doing. But for my 8yo daughter, the test was a big eye opener for us. She tested as very highly gifted, but we previously had no idea of her giftedness because she had some learning disabilities that were keeping her at grade level in all subjects. So having her tested revealed some issues that needed addressed.

We did not take our daughters in to be tested for giftedness. They were being evaluated for Asperger's Syndrome and the IQ test was routine for this.

I agree with Maria in that testing can open doors for programs and enrichment opportunities.

Let me say that I am new to homeschooling, but not to "gifted" children. My kids are still in public school and have been tested by the school. They were both tested at age 5, but some kids won't show signs until they are older. There is definately a learning curve there. We are pulling out of public school because they aren't challenging my kids at all. We started at an awesome school, but have now moved and they have done nothing for my kids. Anyway, I'm not sure that formal testing needs to be done. It's just another label. There are down sides to "giftedness". If you do a search for teaching "gifted" children on the web, you'll find quite a bit of information. There is a difference in the way you need to approach their learning. I substitute in the school system. I always knew that there was a difference, but didn't realize how much until the first time I taught in a regular class. I was so used to my kids, I thought that was normal. There is a huge difference. The way their brains work is totally different, so it is definately worth looking into. Here is a couple of websites to look at and get some good information. http://www.nagc.org/ http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/ I hope this helps. I have had to learn to say and do things differently with my oldest one especially. He can out think me so I have to be careful. Let me know if I can help in any way!

There is also a book. I think it is called The Mislabeled Child, or something like that. Anyway, it talks about learning disabilities and also gifted kids. It also shows how they can have both. I found some good information in there, so it might be worth reading for you.

I never had my boys tested. They were easy to teach and learned everything sequentially, just on a faster curve than average so I never felt the need.

My dd is so different from them. She seems to learn everything on her own, only needing me around for occassional assistance or a hug. She learns so much more quickly than her brothers, was never one to follow the nice order supplied by curriculum, and is highly self-motivated. I needed a test to show me where to start teaching her and I wanted someone to confirm that allowing her to follow her own interests was working. I had her tested at 5.5yo. If I knew then what I know now, I would probably have waited a little longer. She was often bored by simple questions so didn't bother answering until the harder ones or answered questions in creative ways (that the tester said made sense when explained by her but weren't "correct" for the test).

Anyway, all I learned is that my assessment of her was correct and I gained the confidence to allow her to continue learning in a more child-directed way for the time being.

Was it worth the money? It was very expensive and I probably should have just had confidence in my own abilities rather than pay for assurance from someone else.

I had my now 9yo tested when he was 5. The reason I wanted the test was because I was hoping the psychiatrist would give me an alternative to homeschooling. :o He didn't. He said we could consider a Montessouri but otherwise, at home would be great for him. I don't have anything against Montessouri schools but I didn't feel their style would work with my ds who needed a bit more guidance, IMO. So, here we are.

I would test him again though if it meant opening doors for him.

We had our son tested through our local university's educational psych department. It was free at the time. It might be worth it for you to make a few phone calls if you have a university in your area.

I second the trampoline idea. We bought ours last year after I made the agreement with my dh that I would take care of any ER visits, LOL. He was dead set against one. It's been one of the best purchases we've made. When the boys get antsy during school, we take a 10 minute bounce break. They come back focused and ready to work, most of the time at least. Sometimes we need a 20 minute bounce break. ;o