Menu

Should I take my son to the doctor?

I'm usually good at deciding when a trip to the doctor is needed, but this time I'm not sure.

Ds12 became sick on Monday. It started with a sore throat, and progressed to nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc. He's had an on-again, off-again fever since the first day of sickness. (Although, so far today, no fever.) He's definitely feeling tired and blah, going to bed early voluntarily, lying around on the couch all day.

Last night, before bed, he came out of the bathroom, said, "I just threw up. Well, good night, Mom." I really thought he was kidding, or exaggerating; he sounded so calm (which is not like him). I thought maybe he coughed really hard or something. KWIM?

Today, he mentioned it to me again. So I guess he really did throw up. He definitely seems a bit better today, a little more energy, and so far today, no fever. But the fact that he threw up last night concerns me a little; could he have strep throat?

What do y'all think?

Wendi

Yes, he could have strep. I always thought strep was predominantly a sore throat fever thing, but the dr told me it often includes nausea/vomiting. And I've had strep that was virtually symptomless - I only got the test because all 3 dc had it.

If he's been around anyone with strep, I'd definitely take him in. If not, I might wait a day or two and see if the fever comes back or not.

My daughter had the same thing for over a week except she didn't throw up. She felt like she had to but she didn't. I took her to the doctor twice because I was convinced that she had strep. Nope. She didn't even after two throat cultures a couple of days apart. They were going to test her for mono after a week but I didn't take her back and thankfully, she is feeling better. She had the exact same symptoms as your son and she too would offer to go to bed and that's not like her! Take him, just to be sure.

There is a bug going around here in Oregon that has similar symptoms and hangs on for about a week. Seven of us and the dog came down with it, but not dh. Sore throat, headache, stomach ache, cough, nasal congestion, a day with fever, and lethargy seemed the dominant symptoms. Only our youngest (and the dog) threw up. One would think they were well and it would come back a day later. We didn't go to the dr. since it seemed viral and very catchy. I hope your ds is feeling better soon.