Menu

Dd11 feeling lost with grammar

Night Elf

Allie (11) is taking K12's 6th grade Lang. Arts class. She's doing great in composition and literature. She loves to write and has a superb understanding of the literature she's reading. But grammar is frustrating her. She's having trouble with adverbs and prepositions specifically.

I tried working with Winston Grammar but she still felt confused. She felt it really didn't explain it well.

Can someone recommend a program that is not religious with clear explanations? She responds better to a workbook format. Honestly, I'm thinking of purchasing Rod & Staff, but thought I'd ask for other options first.

We find that R&S explains things really well. DS is also 11. Neither of us has ever been confused at all by their explanations. I think you would be happy with it if you do decide to try it. But maybe others will be able to recommend something really good that is not religious.

provides a gentle easy to understand explanation of grammar. We used it for 2 years (4th & 5th) then did Winston over the summer. My ds just finished the first of three years of Analytical Grammar, and with great success!

I think Easy Grammar is a great starting point.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at these. Yesterday, we went back through her English book. It's a typical schoolish English textbook scheduled by K12. The publisher is Perfection Learning Corp. which I've never heard of. One thing I really like about the textbook though is that it includes diagramming.

Her trouble spot yesterday was identifying adverbs. She is almost getting the fact that they modify verbs but she's perplexed at finding the ones that modify adjectives and adverbs. I think the diagramming helped and we will spend more time on it. But I'm still interested in a different program that might give her another view. :)