Menu

Doctor-worthy, or not?

OK, my 4 yo ds has a fever and is vomiting. He's been sick since Monday, but has had periods of feeling better and eating. Now he's not been able to keep anything down since last night, not even water.

What is the cut-off for going to the doctor or for dehydration to become an issue? It's been 12 hours at least since he could drink (including time he was sleeping last night)... he's had sips every 20 minutes when awake, but dry heaves have brought it back up since this morning.

I'm sure he has whatever virus is going around, and I don't want to trek across town to be told "keep giving him fluids, rest, a BRAT diet when he can handle it..." I know all that. Mostly, at what point do I worry he's way over dehydrated?

One thing you can do to see if your DS is dehydrated is to pinch the skin on the back of his hand (not so it will hurt). If it stays peaked up for any amount of time, that means he is dehydrated.

If I were in your shoes, I'd call the doctor and ask them if you should bring your DS in. I've done that and saved a needless trip many times.

I would suggest giving him ice chips to suck on instead of water to drink, unless you are concerned he may choke on one of them.

RC

Guest cubsfan

Could he possibly have strep? Sometimes little kids with strep don't actually get the sore throat. That happened once with dd.

I would call the doctor. It seems to me that 12 hours is a pretty long time. I would worry about dehydration especially since he can't even keep down a sip. At that age our doctor even had me giving a medicine dropper worth of liquid.