Menu

I'm ready to try yoga.

I am an inflexible, uncoordinated beginner. I want something short and sweet. Something to loosen up and/or strengthen my back and reduce stress. Something to end my strength or cardio workouts. I'm checking out the 10 Minute Solution offerings because I like their toning videos and I like the flexibility of doing 10 or more minutes. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or any other recommendations?

Thank you so much! My health is much improved due to information I've received right here!

Honestly, this is probably not what you want to hear, but, I would find an instructor if I were you. I've just started yoga myself and I do use the wii fit and I've tried some dvds as well (free ones in magazines). With both the wii fit and the dvds I was so glad I had had a teacher first because I think my form is much better after a teacher. He has been able to notice little things that make my form much better that the dvds and the wii wouldn't notice. I don't think you need to go forever but at least a couple of times will give you an idea of what you need to think about. Just my opinion.

we have no classes near by. The closest class is 40 minutes away, so home is my only option. I highly recommend Yoga Journal's Step into Yoga. I got the Step 1 and the Step 2 DVD. I found them on Amazon, but bought them from one of the other listed dealers. I payed 5.00 a piece for them.

The instructor does a good job explaining each move. The DVD has a section where she teaches the move, shows a modified move and then explains what should be happening with your body. The DVD also has the moves put together in a 20 minute session. There is also a feature called "chalk talk" which has each move by itself and explains it.

Both DVD's are very doable. There is only 1 move on the 2nd Step video that I can not do (the "bow").

I've enjoyed doing yoga. I mostly do the video's at night. I find them very relaxing.

Have fun doing yoga.

I have been practicing yoga for around 8 years. I am also naturally inflexible. I hate the yoga tapes that have these amazingly flexible teachers.

My favorite DVDs are by Yoga Zone. Check your library first. Many of their DVDs have 2 20min sessions, but not all. My favorites are:

Yoga for a Strong & Healthy Back

Evening Stress Release

Yoga Sculpting

Intro to Power Yoga

Fat Burning

I have 2 Linda Arkin 45min tapes that I really enjoy as well:

Yoga for Flexibility

Yoga for Strength

Sometimes I smile and think that yoga is the only thing that I do in my life that I naturally stink at. I shudder to think how crippled I would be if I didn't practice yoga regularly. It's worth it. I can tell when I squat to get something out of a low cabinet or unplug a lamp.

Good luck!

ETA: I agree with TeacherZee that yoga classes are helpful as well. That's mostly what I do.

I started out with Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga DVD. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a very gentle, 10-15 min (I can't remember exactly) morning routine. I did it morning and evening and loved it. It was, for me, the perfect introduction to yoga. Good luck to you!

If you have cable or satellite, you might like the yoga program that comes on at 6 am on the Oprah network. I think it's called Breathe. The reason I like it is that the teacher is funny, and they play good music. I can't do the whole hour -- it gets too intense for me. but I'll do the first 20 minutes, do some things in the middle 20 minutes, and then do the last 20.

I started out with Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga DVD. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a very gentle, 10-15 min (I can't remember exactly) morning routine. I did it morning and evening and loved it. It was, for me, the perfect introduction to yoga. Good luck to you!

I believe the one I am familiar with was actually the "P.M." one. Very gentle, very good beginning. Beautiful setting. Rodney Yee has lots of titles, so you could branch off once you have gained some confidence. Perhaps you can get them from Netflix, since you can keep those as long as you like?

Julie (yoga teacher)

I've already loaded my Netflix queue and my library holds!

I'm not in a place right now where I have the time/money for a class, but I'll open my ears and try to find one for the future. Maybe I'll reward myself after our tax refund arrives. Thanks so much!