Menu

Finally got to buy that plane ticket home for my freshman

Karen in CO

My ds is coming home for two weeks from Tokyo.

:hurray:

He has one more final next week. Then he is moving his stuff from the dorm into an apartment then catching a plane home for two weeks before the summer semester begins. I am relieved. At first he was planning to stay in Tokyo between semesters because the apartments he was looking at all had huge gaijin fees. He has since found people to share their already-rented apartment with so that he gets to avoid the fees and come home instead. He'll be back home in 9 days.

I only get him a couple of weeks, but it is going to be a relief to finally see him. This wasn't at all what I had in mind when I thought of sending him off to school.

When are your college kids coming home? Are any others taking summer classes? My ds is required to in order to keep his student visa.

My ds will be home in about 3 weeks. He will be taking Engineering Physics 2 over the summer at a nearby university. EP 1 is making him sweat this semester so he wants to take EP 2 at a time when he only has one class to concentrate on. Sounds like he gave the situation some thought and worked out a good plan. It'll be nice to have him home although I know the dynamics will change some.

my one college age daughter still lives at home, so not much will change there.

Alex, will be leaving June 24 for his basic cadet summer at the Academy. He has 10 days between cc graduation and leaving for "the beast."

Like Margaret's daughter, future "summers" will be three weeks long from here on out.

Dd1 will be home for only :thumbdown:10 days this summer. She will have a few days at the beginning and then we will help her move up to D.C. where she has a great internship. Then she will be at home for a few days at the end before we help her move back to college. I guess we'll focus on what an awesome internship she has and we'll enjoy helping her pack and unpack. I'll miss her -- but at least this summer she'll only be three hours away so she will come for for at least one weekend and we can go up to visit if we miss her too much.

Ds1 will be at his college doing research for a professor, so he will be home for 5 days at the beginning. We will treasure August though -- he'll be home for four weeks then. Hurrah!

I didn't realize when I dropped my kids off at college that neither of them would ever really live at home again. Gulp!

I'm treasuring the time with my younger two -- though ds2 may be a counselor at a sleep-over camp for a few weeks. Our house will be EMPTY htis summer!

My university dd still lives at home, but she has only 1 week between spring and summer semesters. She's taking 9 hours this summer, so she has exactly two days' vacation (Memorial Day--which is also her 20th birthday and July 3). :) Since we are also planning a wedding, I am looking forward to her two week break from August 1-15 for most of our planning. (Wedding date is January 16.)

My freshman/dual-enrolled dd isn't taking any classes this summer, because she has tremendous leadership obligations for a summer youth program at our church.

I actually don't think I'll get to see much of either one of them this summer, although at least they will sleep in my house most of the time! LOL!

Oh, well, I'll get lots of quilting done! I work until June 12, and have two workshops this summer to attend, but hope to get some travel and garden time, as well as sewing time.

Lori

My ds will make it home after finals - but only for 10 days this summer, and that includes having his wisdom teeth taken out. Fun! Then he's off to California for an internship with a computer science firm in Sunnyvale. He'll be doing research that will culminate in a senior project next school year.

Hmm, maybe if we miss him too much, we could go for a trip out there?

My 17yo dd is also planning to be gone for about six weeks in June-July. I used to look forward to the quiet times, but with my youngest down to her last year at home, it's more of a sign of what's to come...and I'm starting to feel the loss. Time flies all too fast!

Never say never, Gwen. I went home for each of my pregnancies GRIN because I had morning sickness to much to be left alone. I treasure that close time with my parents. And we drove around the country for two months with them last summer. I have to admit, though, that it was pretty hard coming home and living on my own again in the fall...

Mine isn't coming home for a bit. He has a two month training cruise and then is traveling. I'll have (maybe) three weeks with him at the end of summer. And my middle one (a senior) is traveling with the older one and won't be sailing with us this year, which will be very strange, even stranger because my youngest probably will be crewing for my father during the day, so we'll have days with nobody on board except us and the animals. As I keep saying, thank goodness for the dog...

-Nan

Tokyo sounds intense, but exciting. At least he comes home (with jetlag). Enjoy the time and hug him.

Dd was supposed to have been working and taking classes all summer, but instead is invited to stay with my family in DK for 6 weeks or so. Great opportunity but time away from us!! She is excited, but already looking forward to fall classes. I'll have her for a few weeks in June and then a couple of days before school starts (as well as one of her girlfriends from college).