Menu

Rod and Staff or Growing with Grammar? Can someone compare?

I have not used either of these, but looked at GWG and really liked it, couldn't see much about RandS online....so can anyone tell me strengths and weaknesses of these 2? I have used Shurley, but I think we need more practice. Someone in another post mentioned about the Shurley lists and lists of rules for puntuation....I don't quite see the point of that and it overwhelmed my dds. BJU is too pricey, and I have heard R&S is time consuming....and I can't do either of those. Thanks!

Well, I'll give it a shot. Growing with Grammar covers only grammar; no writing instruction is included. It tends to be able to be completed by the student independently. GWG is also secular. Rod and Staff covers both grammar and writing. I've not heard of many people using it independently. R&S is Christian.

Here's the link for Rod and Staff: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/, scroll down and click on the link of the grade/book you're interested in. You can see sample lessons on the next page.

Best of luck!

I've used both. I want to like GWG, I've even bought it and sold it twice. :tongue_smilie: What I like about GWG is that is independent. What I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a lot of built in review and I don't know what is going on since they're doing it independently. :tongue_smilie: My son didn't seem to always be retaining things with GWG.

R & S has a lot of built in review, which I love! I teach it orally, my son does the exercises orally, and we do some stuff together on the white board. It tales about 20 minutes to do per day. I also love that R&S is a tried and true program and is recommended by SWB.

We use R&S. I can't compare it to GWG though.

R&S does not have to be time consuming. The book itself says not to do everything but to choose which forms of review work best for your situation. There's usually an oral review section, a written review section (that can be done orally most of the time, or on the chalkboard), and a worksheet (not all lessons have a worksheet). If my ds whizzes through the oral review we end the lesson. If I think he could use more practice we'll do the written. The worksheet is last in line.

R&S does not have to be time consuming. The book itself says not to do everything but to choose which forms of review work best for your situation. There's usually an oral review section, a written review section (that can be done orally most of the time, or on the chalkboard), and a worksheet (not all lessons have a worksheet).

We do most of R&S orally. If there is a worksheet, I assign it, unless it's something they don't need any practice on. If there's no worksheet, we often do the written exercises on the white board.

I don't know anything about GWG, though, sorry.