Menu

Sonlight science

Aurelia

I'm considering getting SL science, either K or 1, but I would like to know how any of you (and your kids) have liked it. I would rather do an overview of science at this age (Ariel is 5, doing 1st grade work) than specialize in one area. Did your kids retain a lot? Did you enjoy it? Why or why not? What level would you recommend for an accelerated 5.5 year old?

I did Science K this year with my ds6 (almost 7) and ds5 and we enjoyed it. They liked the books that we used, but Sonlight has completely reworked K for next year and it looks alot better. My kids LOVED the Usborne books, would enjoy the shorter "readers" as well. The Discover and Do DVD is awesome and worth every penny! Overall, it was worth the money and worth our time, but I would definitely take a look at their new Science K.....I'm considering it for this next year because of the new book selection.

Having said all that, I believe that you could easily skip over to Science 1. My friend used it last year and said her science oriented kids loved it. I think it all depends on what you are wanting to cover for the year.

I hope this helps a little.......8)

We did SL K & 1 Science but switched to Noeo Science. Dc loved the books; Usbourne books are wonderful. We just had problems with the way the IG jumped around and that the experiments didn't go with the subject being taught. SL has changed their Science so maybe some of these issues have been addressed.

Were there a lot of worksheets involved? Also, did it have much hands on stuff?

There are worksheets that go along with your reading, but each reading has only one or two questions (multiple choice, T or F, etc.) that goes along with it. Most days, science can be finished in ten to fifteen minutes.

The schedule is set up for reading with activity questions for days 1 - 3 (we did the 4-day schedule) and you have an activity to complete on the 4th day, along with watching the corresponding activity on the Discover & Do DVD.

We just had problems with the way the IG jumped around and that the experiments didn't go with the subject being taught.

I had an issue with this as well. Therefore, we completed some but not all of the activities. I found activities online for us to do that went along with what we were studying that week.

I don't know if that issue has been resolved in the revised version or not. You may check the Sonlight forums and see what people are saying about it.

If there's anything else I can answer for you, please let me know.

We used Science K with our then 5 and 7yo dds and enjoyed it. Yes, it did jump around a bit but I think Karen is correct - check the new version of their science, they probably did fix that problem.

Overall, my girls learned a lot and still talk about the different experiments we did together. It was fun!

I thought it jumped around a lot and didn't think she'd remember any of it but I'm surprised at just how much she still remembers. It didn't bother her that the expiriments didn't match up with the readings. The years we tried textbooks were science failures. She has requested that I make a science program similar to Sonlight's for next year (and probably throughout her high school years as well).

In general, I think the science programs have actually improved over the years. This year I am using a new science 1 IG and my youngest dd finds the questions much easier to answer than they were in the older level I had. I like most of the books they have added to the science programs over the years. My youngest dd only tolerates SL science. She loves the expiriments but finds the reading (like most reading, to her) dull.