Menu

Secular HS Science?

I have a friend who is a writer and has a science/biology background, and he heard I was homeschooling. We've been discussing science. He sent me this e-mail...what do you all think? Sorry about the length - he tends to be very wordy. My point in reproducing this here is that I don't really feel qualified to speak to many of his questions about developing curriculum specifically for the homeschool crowd, because I'm such a new homeschooler. But I know there are many experienced homeschoolers on these boards with a variety of opinions. Maybe if some of you could chime in, I could give him input.

this next is him, now:

I will say up front, that yes, one could use public school publishers (textbooks) because there is no completely secular science based (or history or literature) homeschool curriculum. But textbooks of that kind are usually geared towards group activities and are frequently troublesome to pare down to smaller levels (eg: one or two students). I will also say there are a few secular companies (Oak Meadow and Calvert are the only two I can think of right now) that cater to the homeschool crowd, but pricing often leaves them out of the running for many homeschool families (as well as resale restrictions--Calvert does not allow the resale of any of their texts).

In homeschooling circles (and some private schools), there is such a thing called the Trivium, stages of learning--logic, grammar, rhetoric--and in these stages things are taught based on each of these stages and what they feel can be learned within those stages.

My plan is similar to the Trivium rotation, but instead of teaching the science on a 4 year rotation, I'd like to start out with the easiest of the sciences and work my way up to the high school level, where I would then have a core strictly covering high school level. So basically, from K-8th grade, all these disciplines will be taught with appropriate reading material, lessons, AND lab work in each. ***Once they reach high school, all of the material will be exponentially harder.

So you have 3 main disciplines: Life Science(Biology, Anatomy/Physiology, Zoology, Marine Science, Botany, Ecology); Earth Science (Oceanography, Geology, Meteorology, Astronomy); and the Physical Sciences (Physical Science, Physics, Chemistry, Astrophysics)

Obviously, there can be overlap and some can be combined. But all, rest assured, even at the younger levels, will have reading, writing, and lab based activities.

***I may even just combine the whole thing.

Obviously the goal is a completely secular science program within budget of many homeschoolers. My questions are (I told you I had a point):

1--Evolution WILL be taught. Do I teach it as one study within the Biology realm or do I recognize that Evolution plays a part in all of these disciplines and include the relevant information at the relevant point within the relevant areas of disciplines? And, just how far into it would you go at the Lower? Higher? levels.

2-- Unit Studies, books, thematic units, workbooks? What do you think would best cover all of this material? Would a CD of all the worksheets needed (all worksheets fully editable as well) be desirable (it would also save on paper space within the books, thus making them slightly cheaper)?

3-- Do I have all the relevant disciplines covered? What ones would YOU most like to see covered that you think is lacking in any curriculum (not just homeschool or public school, any)?

4--Print on demand (such as LuLu) or publisher? Would I lose the main point of writing this if I go with a publisher (that is a totally secular science program that does not espouse any theological belief whatsoever)? Is this possible?

5-- Do I do this as a spine (eg: reference with printables, etc) or do I do it like Calvert--individual books?

(for reference, one can check out Calvert's 8th grade page to see what is included. You'll notice the 4 science books--Science Explorers, that just touch on basic science information for a small section of each discipline. I want to do something similar, only on a larger scale that can be reused for all 12 years).

(also for reference is something else similar--Robinson Curriculum only this is all on CD, printable, and geared more towards boys and is not secular in nature at all, and, lastly, is very basic and outdated at some points).

It would not be that type of unit study. This would be nothing but Science. No literature, english, math, etc.. integrated. JUST science. Now of course there is math there--they will learn only the math that is relevant to what they are studying--which means usually at the high school level. And it's mainly formulas and nothing more.

And no I'm not talking about mixing the disciplines within each grade. This would have a no grade level approach (or an all grade level approach), where you will get book recs (that are relevant to the topic only), you will have some writing to do (that is relevant only to topic), and labs to do (again, relevant only to topic). On the extreme lower grade levels, it'll go beyond "cute, furry animals" but still on their grade level or their understanding level. Basically, it's either going to be a guideline or a full on curriculum type book (similar to the Calvert I linked to). E-booking is definitely an option.

If I go the book route (whether workbook, e-book, textbook), each of these would be in "units"- that is one unit for the Life Sciences but several sections (so it would be advertised as "Life Science Unit, Section 1, Biology" and it would cover all aspects of biology in that section. Then another section would be "Life Science Unit, Section 2, Anatomy" and so on. You can take as little or as long as you wish on each section. I'm probably going to mix the books up so that they can either be spines (where one can use the print-outs if they wish) or they can use the books as stand alones, subsisting on only the handouts and labs. Obviously some sections are going to take longer than others--it's just a given. Biology is a big section, but I can cut it out because I can put the zoology part of it in its own section (animalia). The same with plants--that can go under Botany.

As for Evolution, I may just do a separate study on it alone. Yes it has more relevancy to Biology etc... than say Astronomy, but it might warrant it's own book (so to speak). Now of course, it will get mentions in the appropriate sections. But its own book would be a more in depth study of it--macro/micro, Darwin, Natural Selection, etc.... there is enough to make it its own. This is, however, still up in the air.

I intend to make a list of grade level based fiction and non-fiction. I might say "read A Space Child's Mother Goose AND Our Solar System." One fiction, one not. Of course, at the high school level, books like Apollo 13 are just as relevant reading material as a "comprehensive astronomy" book. It would have to include worksheets. Some people, like myself, really like them. I'm sick of googling for them, kwim? Labs would require observation, a nature walk would be considered a lab. A trip to Sea World would be considered a lab. Get it?

I do not want to turn this into a "how can you teach this without that" argument (eg: evolution vs creation vs ID), I simply want to know, from those that would use this sort of thing, what your opinions are on it.

There is a real need for grade 5-8 science. He should concentrate on that first. As a secular homeschooler I think it would be more effective to discuss evolution at every point it is relevant. But, most homeschoolers don't teach evolution and he will sell more of the program if he writes evolution as a separate, non-integral unit. CD of worksheets is a good idea-homeschoolers do a lot of editing depending on the needs of their child. I don't know what format would work best. I prefer a text/spine but have also used mini-units.

I like his ideas. I hope he can make it work.

There is a real need for grade 5-8 science. He should concentrate on that first. As a secular homeschooler I think it would be more effective to discuss evolution at every point it is relevant. But, most homeschoolers don't teach evolution and he will sell more of the program if he writes evolution as a separate, non-integral unit. CD of worksheets is a good idea-homeschoolers do a lot of editing depending on the needs of their child. I don't know what format would work best. I prefer a text/spine but have also used mini-units.

I like his ideas. I hope he can make it work.

He's smart enough to make it work...I think he's thinking of making an "all grades appropriate" type curriculum. I agree that there is a real need for gr 5-8 science. I just found out that my state's public schools don't even have a science requirement until (I think) 6th or 7th grade. I can't believe no science requirement in elementary! Of course it does make me slightly more comfortable doing science only 3 days a week.

I actually think finding secular science for lower grades is fairly easy. I see the real market for this being middle school and up. That's were the choices get super thin. I would be open to all different methods wb vs. text. I do like the idea of activities though. Science for our family has to be hands on.

Thanks for sharing!

High school is the level where there is serious need. Below that, there are many options. It's pretty easy to adapt most of the Christian programs at lower levels, but it usually isn't possible anymore by high school level.

If he wants to start lower than high school, then middle school is probably best. There are tons of materials out there for elementary level.

High school is the level where there is serious need. Below that, there are many options. It's pretty easy to adapt most of the Christian programs at lower levels, but it usually isn't possible anymore by high school level.

If he wants to start lower than high school, then middle school is probably best. There are tons of materials out there for elementary level.

Yes I agree. I'm not having too much trouble with primary science but for my 15yo.. boy oh boy it's not easy!

I'm not sure I should even be posting here, as my dc are much younger. But I have seen a lot of discussion recently about teaching physics first, as physics is a foundation for chemistry & other sciences. Of course, standard curricula would have to be revised to tone down the math and so on. Much to my surprise, I found some good articles by googling 'teach physics first'. I just thought it might be something to think about -- more secular science is such a need, and your project sounds great!

Two other thoughts --

(1) Evolution should not not be an "ad-on" unit!!! It should be integrated into every area that is applicable.

(2) Many college science texts have a code concealed under a scratch off coating. You then use the code to access a website with additional info; codes can also be purchased separately from the book (good for resellers).

Edited by Alessandra