Menu

Why would my fil need so much blood transfused post-op?

I hope to tlak to his MD sometime today or tomorrow. I wondered if anyone would be able to tell me why my fil has needed FOUR units of blood. Two years ago he had his hip replaced (twice!) and required no blood transfused. On Friday he broke his hip and had to have emergency surgery. It should have lasted 2-3 hours - it lasted 5! Would the longer surgery cause anemia?

Thanks for any thoughts on this. My poor mil is worried sick about him. I was hoping to reassure her.

Alexandra

My father in law went through a surgery on his bowel and ended up having 23-26 units of blood! :eek:

Here's what I learned from that experience, it may not apply to your father's case at all. He might have a small bleed. Often these correct themselves on their own and surgeons don't become concerned until they give 5-7 units. Hopefully, he won't need that many. Definitely talk with his doctors as only they know what happened.

If they have to really "open" things up to get to (and even find) the parts they need to operate on, there can be significant blood loss. Hip repair can be harder than hip replacement, especially if there's hardware involved already.

Sometimes if the patient is open for more than 3-4 hours, they'll give blood if the need is borderline and especially if they're frail or elderly to help the body recover. The elderly tend to go anemic more easily and more dangerously than people our age.

Don't ask how I know all this...:sad:

If they have to really "open" things up to get to (and even find) the parts they need to operate on, there can be significant blood loss. Hip repair can be harder than hip replacement, especially if there's hardware involved already.

Sometimes if the patient is open for more than 3-4 hours, they'll give blood if the need is borderline and especially if they're frail or elderly to help the body recover. The elderly tend to go anemic more easily and more dangerously than people our age.

:iagree: