Menu

Doctrinal distinctives in Veritas Press materials, especially Omnibus

I'm doing my very best to ask this graciously --

I understand that most Veritas Press materials come from a Reformed/Westminster Confession point of view. I have no issue with this at all. However, I have some reservations about some of Douglas Wilson's teachings, especially since 2002. I would also say that I am inclined to want to avoid a "Federal Vision" worldview.

Will have I difficulty working around these issues with VP, especially Omnibus Volumes I, II, and III?

I am not trying to start a debate on Reformed or Federal Vision theology. I'm just seeking a "yes, you should probably look to another publisher" or "no, I know what you're talking about but you're not going to have problems with VP".

... but I think you might feel more comfortable with another choice. Maybe Great Books Academy, or Kolbe if your kids are late dialectic/ rhetoric age?

Just a thought! No offense meant at all to the Veritas Press folks. :)

Hm, I have a high schooler but I seriously doubt we'll get into much rhetoric level material.

Kolbe wouldn't be a doctrinal fit for us.

Would you believe, in nine years of homeschooling, I've never looked at the Great Books Academy website? I'll take a look at that.

If you want to pm me with any specific thoughts, that would be fine.

I really don't think it'll be a problem. Especially if you're the teacher. I like Omnibus; I just may have my daughter start in Omni II and the go back to Omni I (Ancient) when she's older...

:-)

Oh, I'm thinking this, too; in fact, I posted a question about it over on the high school board. I'm looking at the readings for Volume I and thinking -- wow, we're just not ready for this! Volume II looks more appropriate for her. (Feel free to chime in on that thread if you have ideas for me!)

I probably should have mentioned in my original post that we are Reformed in doctrine ourselves; so that certainly won't be the issue.

It's some of the . . . not sure how to put it . . . other stuff specific to Wilson, not generally true of Reformed. Does that make sense? If I understand correctly, he is a contributor but not the only editor/author/etc, right?

It sounds like probably I'll be just fine; and now I have a new Great Books website to peruse as well, thanks to this thread. ;)

There have been discussions on this topic before and from what I remember it was not an issue. If you are concerned, why don't you contact Veritas directly and talk to them about your concerns. They are very helpful and responsive. Or try posting on the high school board? Many on that board have used Omnibus and could be helpful.