Menu

Curriculum question

This could be a possible cross post with one in the k8 curriculum board, if so I apologize.

---

I am new to homeschooling and have questions as to which curriculum to use for my DS next year. DS has been identified as gifted, how much so I don't know. He is taking the Explore test this month and the Davidson Institute is waiting for those results. Evidently the DI will help guide us with DS's educational goals if he qualifies.

What I would like to know from all of you is what curriculum you are using for your gifted 12 year olds. I have been reading through some of the threads and haven't really seen too much involving junior high. If I am missing something a gentle nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

There is so much out there to choose from, so you are going to get a ton of different answers. We just use what works best for us, but bump it up to DS's level. So if you like a particular math, let's say, then you would give the placement test to your child and see what level he needs. My DS is in 2nd grade, but his math level is 5th grade, so we do 5th grade math. That's one of the beauties of homeschool :)

There is so much out there to choose from, so you are going to get a ton of different answers. We just use what works best for us, but bump it up to DS's level. So if you like a particular math, let's say, then you would give the placement test to your child and see what level he needs. My DS is in 2nd grade, but his math level is 5th grade, so we do 5th grade math. That's one of the beauties of homeschool :)

:iagree:We will be bringing our dss back home next year so I am still in the process of deciding what we will be using this time.

However, I did want to share a link with you. You may be familiar with it, Hoagies Gifted Education, it has a wealth of information on gifted children, curriculum, etc., etc. So much information in fact, you can easily get lost in the site just navigating the various links. I have found it very useful for looking up curriculum as well as general information.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck and welcome.

I feel that it is going to depend on so many factors, which areas he is the most gifted in, what your expectations are such as Christian or secular, etc. Our dd is advanced, but we haven't pushed her ahead of her grade level because of social situations such as church. When she is interested in something, we let her follow that as much as she will. She reads A LOT, and we encourage that to be as far above grade level as possible.

Many curriculum publishers offer placement tests. That might be a good place to start if you want to know something immediately.