Menu

Talk Logic to me....

Pensguys

I've had older ds (5th) doing Mind Benders (the A levels).

WTM says the B levels are the next step (am I reading that right?) for 6th grade. I'm looking at doing a logic course starting in 7th (something like Trad Logic or Introductory Logic).

Has anyone done the Red Herring books or the Critical Thinking series?

I did Red Herring, but didn't like it. It seems to be more for groups who can brainstorm together. If there's a puzzle that treats a topic that you know nothing about, say the ranks in the army, or something about rules of a particular sport, then you're just out of luck....

The only Critical Thinking books we used were some of the CT in US history. I did like them, but we just didn't have time to use them in depth.

I plan on using Mindbenders for fifth and then using Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective for sixth. I'll wait to start something like Traditional Logic until seventh. Or maybe there will even be something better out by then, LOL.....

What's Susan working on next?

Regena

DS used Mindbenders A in 5th, B in 6th. We tried Red Herrings, but it really needs to be something you do in a group. I didn't get them at all :eek:

7th we're working on Fallacy Detective. I've done the Traditional Logic book myself, and really don't feel there is any need for a child to work that kind of logic at such an early age. They totally get Fallacy Detective at that age though.

You're welcome!

When I tgook the traditional logic class with Tina online yahoo group, she added in the informal fallacies because traditional logic doesn't address them. Therefore, I thought it was realistic to use Fallacy Detective first since ds at 7th is ready for that, but not necessarily ready for the formal logic. I hope Tina is still doing logic classes when ds is in hs and ready. Otherwise, I go back to my notes I saved somewhere.

Hey Penny,

I am heading into Traditional Logic for 8th. We went from the Dandylion books to Fallacy Detective with our 11 yr old 6th grader and the whole family is actually getting a lot out of it. So it is Thinking Toolbox for 7th and more formal studies in 8th for us. I made flashcards and geeks that we are, we do it on Friday nights as a family sort of thing.