Menu

Phantom cake...

DD16 offered to 'make' a birthday cake for 2 of her friends... this of course meant that "I" was going to make the cake with her assistance...

Actually we had a great time!

It is a full sheet cake--took 4 cake mixes.

The rose is made from a candy clay.

We will add 2 sets of 16 candles on the sides at the party (black candles).

DD thought that it was neat how 'she' arranged 16 16th notes on the cake around the mask...

Now if we can just transport it across town without smooshing it!

232323232%7Ffp8%3C4%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A65%3E37%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3B539%3A%3B7338nu0mrj

The candy clay is very easy to make.

1 bag of 'candy melts' (I use Wilton)

1/3 cup corn syrup (use Karo that does not have HFC or water added).

Melt candy in microwave (30 sec then stir and repeat until melted and smooth) or in a double boiler.

Stir in corn syrup. Mix well but do not beat. It will become thick, grainy and oily looking.

This needs to sit tightly covered over night. The next day use a spoon and 'dig' out a chunk. Work it in your hands for a minute and you have a smooth candy clay.

Do NOT refrigerate or freeze candy clay--it will 'weep'.

Keep melted candy away from water--even a drop of water will RUIN melted candy!

____

My favorite decorators icing has Crisco in it. Since we have cake only a few times a year I'm not worried.

4 TBS butter (room temperature)

3/4 cup Crisco (regular NOT butter flavor)

1-2 TBS vanilla

Dash of salt (VERY IMPORTANT)

1 bag (2 pounds) powdered sugar

1/2 cup water to start

In mixing bowl combine butter, Crisco, vanilla and salt. Beat on low for a few minutes until well combined.

Add powdered sugar gradually.

Add more water (a few drops at a time) if needed.

Beat on low speed for 5 additional minutes. Icing needs to be soft but still able to hold its shape (thicker than Mayo...thinner than cream cheese). Add water or additional sugar as needed.

**I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. If you use a hand mixer you may need to use medium speed--but be careful--icing is HARD on mixers!

Because of the Crisco--a cake iced and decorated with this icing will be MOIST. The icing will crust a bit--but will still be 'soft'.

Sometimes I like to add a drop or two of almond extract...

To make Chocolate icing add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder or a few melted squares of baking chocolate to butter/Crisco mixture before adding sugar. If using cocoa you may need to add a bit more water. I like to add a spoon of peanut butter to my chocolate icing YUM!

___

I have Wilton Cake Decorating Yearbooks from 1974 to 2009. I get lots of inspiration from them. They also have a mini-lesson chapter---where you can see what different tips do.

Many Many years ago I took a cake decorating class at a Vo-Tech center (like a community college). It was a 12 week course.