Menu

Art History ???

My dd14 is an artist. A nature watercolour artist. A good one. She has no interest in art history whatsoever :) but I, as her ever diligent mother insist that she do some art history since at least a part of her future is likely to involve art.

So I talked to her about the least painful way to get some art history into her lovely little brain.(We have done a fair amount of art appreciation over the years- I want her to do something independently and a little more in depth). She doesn't want to do anything online. She doesn't want to just read a book, although maybe we just don't know any good ones. I have several, but none interest her and all may have contributed to her dislike of art history. I have looked at the Annotated Mona Lisa online and I really feel she will strongly dislike it. Before I resort to torture (she is compliant but I would prefer she actually enjoy herself when it comes to art), what she has said she would prefer is something that involves reading a passage and then answering questions. Strange kid, but there you go.

SO, does anyone know of an art history curriculum that involves comprehension question type format? I guess a text book type thing, but I am open to anything along those lines. A downloadable thing would be great- I cant find one though.

thanks for any suggestions

I bought "A History of Art" by Gombrich. It is nothing like Mona Lisa. It also does not have any questions in it. What I do is, for each area/culture we study in history, we read the corresponding chapter of its art in Gombrich.

He writes so well (to children and to adults) that it usually just kind of leads to questions.

My kid would much rather create than read, also, but that's the way it goes.

asta

Oak Meadow's Art History Syllabus uses the Gombrich book (I think it is Story of Art but I am too lazy to go look!). For nearly every chapter there are 3 - 5 questions. Sometimes there are a few sketches to do. The Gombrich book is well written and very engaging. I use it along with Spielvogel as my "spine" because understanding the art of the time is another way to understand the great ideas of the time.

When I bought the syllabus it was about $20 (us). The Gombrich book was just slightly more (but NOWHERE near the cost of the more 'standard' Jansen, which is way more difficult to read).

hope that helps,

kate in seattle

who lived a year in australia - many, many years ago

Oak Meadow's Art History Syllabus uses the Gombrich book (I think it is Story of Art but I am too lazy to go look!). For nearly every chapter there are 3 - 5 questions. Sometimes there are a few sketches to do. The Gombrich book is well written and very engaging.

That's correct. We used Gombrich's Story of Art along with Oak Meadow's syllabus for the text. Wonderful course! We also have Janson's art book... dull. And we have Sr. Wendy's Story of Painting which is very good only no syllabus available.

Gombrich and Sr. Wendy's books are my favorite two Art History books.

We did BJU Our Christian Heritage in Art. Divided by chapters with intro info, Questions w/answers on Seeing and Perceiving followed by Questions w/answers for Understanding and Evaluating. This is covered on one week and the second week is hands on. Divided on lessons per day (4 to 5 sometimes more if needed). Everyday has the topic, materials needed, objectives, procedures and assessments. The second week will always be based on what was covered on week one. This is what we did without the hands on, perhaps to be covered whenever we return to the States. We did this in Japan and to find as little as a specific paint or color in Japanese was a trow off.

BUT....I like very much those Short Art History that Quiverof10 gave you:D.

HTH

Thanks everyone, wonderful to have a few choices. I have gone for the Short Lessons in Art History , with exercises, that Quiver of 10 suggested. I think she would prefer it to the Gombrich, although I do like Oakmeadow. She doesn't need any recognition/credit for it, so I think she would prefer it as it looks a bit "lighter" and just a matter of fact, get it done approach. (although, chances are she might actually enjoy it).

BTW it was cheaper through Amazon, if anyone else is interested.

thanks again, very helpful, possibly saved me hours of searching.

As an artist myself, I have retained the most art history from the works that I admire and spend time with. Names, dates, and movements of art history are not really relevent in my life and have been long forgotten. I only dust off the cobwebs and do research if it pertains to a certain creative project that I am doing.

IMHO, I'd be more worried about her learning how to keep her books and run a business than about being exposed to art history. Financial savy is way more practical and critical to an artist than art history. :)

But I do think there's a lot to be gained from being exposed to and inspired by a variety of artistic styles. my advice is to have her do activities and create an art history sketch book that outlines the general periods of art, but focuses on specific artists or movements in art that inspire her. I would introduce her (chronologically) to the period of study, and the works of several artists. I would do this as visually as possible...maybe visiting a local museum and having a tour or guidebook that tells you about each work and the period that it comes from. Then have her find something from that period that inspires her to create. Not necessarily copying a work of art, but a maybe a poem, sculpture, or even a small collage to create a visual timeline or notebook about her art studies. Some museums allow students to make sketches from the art on site. But most of it could be done at home. It would be lovely if she could listen to period music as she works on her project.

My most memorable art history project was when we were studying the impressionists. My prof. told us to bring in a small copy of 'your favorite impressionistic painting'. I chose a little print of Renoir's wife and baby. He told us 'now reproduce this painting on a piece of 20x30 heavy weight paper (college budget=poster board) using only torn magazine pages glued on for your colors. It was a very intense and fun project, and I learned a LOT about just using color to create an image.

Reading the 'back story' behind a painting or artist is also something that strikes a chord with me, and I'm able to remember the artist and the painting much better than just reading facts. I have several 'coffee table' type books about specific artists that I'm most interested in, and I have learned much more from just reading about the lives of the artist and admiring their work in those books than I ever did in art history class.

I think she would 'get' the most out of studying art history in ways that are visual, interesting, and that pertain to her interest areas. For instance, the movie about Beatrix Potter would be an excellent intro into exploring the life of a watercolor artist. I'd add in a biography and maybe an assignment to create an animal character 'in the style of' Mrs. Potter.

One of my favorite illustrators, Paul O. Zelinsky, illustrates children's books in a variety of historic styles. I love looking at the different elements of his paintings/illustrations, and have learned a lot from just enjoying these books with my kids. His illustrations and paintings bring the old styles into a context of relevance with the stories that he illustrates. They are very inspiring to me and my kids.

Thankyou for these ideas- I am printing out your email and I will integrate some of them in.

If she doesn't come up with a better idea, I think I will send her to learn small business skills at TAFE (must be something like U.S. community college). She already has a book-keeping job working for a friend's small business, and it comes easily to her. She doesn't want to go to art school, because she is very self driven and directed and is not ready to move out of watercolours and sketching. She has been an apprentice to an artist for several years (sort of- its a local art class but she is the one student that keeps coming back, and helping the teacher run the class, and even helping with exhibitions), and she is very deep and good in her area (realisitic nature watercolours, as well as fantasy art, mostly drawing- she is a brilliant imitator)- and doesnt really want to expand her horizons too much yet.

At the moment I have given her a project of making a medieval book with illustrations, and she is loving that. She writes well too.

I haven't found a way in to the other things you mention, yet. The Beatix Pooter movie she enjoyed, but when I got some books for her to get inspired by, she just wasnt. She probably needs me to actually set an assignment, but I must admit she is fussy. I think she is constricted by her own imitative ability, and doesnt find it easy to break out and create from her own imagination, although she has a book she is learning from at the moment which teaches her how to take a picture of someone and turn them into a fairy or an ogre or something.

She actually finds the art gallery fairly boring! What to do with such a child ? :)

But I am keeping your ideas and I will see what I can do to expand her horizons.

thankyou