Menu

Piecing it all together myself vs. TOG or MFW? Harder or easier?

Annabel Lee

This year was my 1st year hs'ing a la WTM (3rd yr. in all). I read the book over the summer and pieced curricula together myself. I am torn between just continuing in the things we are doing now, for the most part, which means separate curricula for ea. subject, or going w/ TOG or MFW.

You can see what we're using currently in my sig. line below. I use the AG w/ SOTW, so we get some hands-on activities. I really prefer to focus hands-on time to math manipulatives/games and science projects/experiements/observations (well and art, of course). I feel like to spend time every week on a hands-on project from history takes up precious learning time. However, to just read to the kids from a book ea. week doesn't seem to cut it. I think they must be daydreaming or something while I'm reading. Their retention isn't where I'd like it to be. So, to cement the info, I go ahead and do the history activities and talk w/ them about things from that week's chapter while we're doing it.

I really want to simplify, streamline, and combine or at least integrate different subjects with eachother. That is my numero uno priority for next year. Do you think going the MFW/TOG route would help me achieve this goal? Or could it add so much to my plate that it would make it even further out of reach? I feel like what we are doing now is pretty simple, and I think both well and poorly of different aspects of that.

Thanks!

With two that young, I would stay with what you are doing. Simple is good.

I have always pieced together my own plan according to WTM, but next year I am going with TOG. I think, for me, it will simplify things because I will have four children in three different levels - UG, D, and R.

They are probably retaining more than you realize. When my kiddos were that young I would think they hadn't heard a thing I said. I would hear them discussing things later among themselves and realize they really were paying attention!

I've only used MFW (ECC and CTG), but it couldn't be more simpler....or integrated. I am thoroughly convinced if I would have chosen something different I never would have continued homeschooling. I literally pick up my TM and go in the morning. I don't have to "study" beforehand, and at the beginning of the week there is a list of things to be prepared for, like photocopies or supplies needed.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences so you can make a well-informed decision!:grouphug: Blessings!

I've only used MFW (ECC and CTG), but it couldn't be more simpler....or integrated. I am thoroughly convinced if I would have chosen something different I never would have continued homeschooling. I literally pick up my TM and go in the morning. I don't have to "study" beforehand, and at the beginning of the week there is a list of things to be prepared for, like photocopies or supplies needed.

This is what I have found as well.

With you having young children, I think TOG would be great! There are so many hands-on activities each week. The activities all go along with what they are reading. There is a lot of map work, which I thought the kids would be bored with, but my kids love it!! Plus, I like the fact that one teachers manual works k-12. Everything is well organized. just wonderful!!

I pieced curriculum together for one year with my oldest. I had a 1st grader and 3 yr old twins and it was a lot more work and not worth the effort. I had used MFWK and then jumped ship for a year and came promptly back for 2nd and haven't looked back!

I think having a base curriculum (whichever you choose) is easier and then you can add it whatever else you want to fairly easily.