Menu

Sonlight Curriculum

Guest deltaak

Guest deltaak

I am wondering if anyone has tried Sonlight Curriculum and how it works with the classical approach? I know they don't teach history chronologically but other than that they seem fairly compatible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

They do teach history chronologically, just a shorter cycle in the elementary years. Core 1 and Core 2 teach world history in two years. After that it is American History that can be done in 1 or 2 years. Eastern Hemisphere comes after.

The science part is a mix of areas unlike WTM which is biology one year, astronomy/earth science next year, chemistry 3rd year and so on. Every year in SL Science, kids get a bit of this and that.

I don't know if I could call SL classical but it is thorough. The emphasis is history like in WTM but there isn't a push for Latin in SL although I think there is a grammar/vocab supplement that is Latin based.

My thing with SL is that there is too much reading aloud for me. I get tired easily from doing all the read alouds.

It is chronological within each Core, but Core 5 studies each culture separately.

Core K - general world

Core 1 - world cultures the 1st half, then ancients for 2nd half

Core 2 - medieval times to modern times

Core 3 - American history up to about 1850

Core 4 - American history up to modern times

Core 5 - Eastern hemisphere cultures (each culture studied separately)

Core 6 - ancient to medieval times

Core 7 - Renaissance to modern times

Core 100 - American history from pre-Columbian up to modern times

Core 200 - church history (don't know the organization behind this one)

Core 300 - 20th century world history

Core 400 - American government

I have found that Core 6 and Core 7 work well spread over the logic years. Take two years for each core, and you have the 4 year world history chronological cycle.

Thanks for this idea. We're a ways away from it yet (we're doing core 1 combined with Mosaic and WP) but I never even thought of doing this (though I did think of stretching Cores 1 and 2 over four years).

We blend the two, sort of. We use Sonlight readers, read-aloud and history. We use my classical science and we use classical style language arts. We also add in a few extras like artist/composer study, poetry and so on. Hope that helps!

I am wondering if anyone has tried Sonlight Curriculum and how it works with the classical approach? I know they don't teach history chronologically but other than that they seem fairly compatible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

I know quite a few people here in the interior that use it. One gal has teenage boys, hs'ed only w/ SL, who still have voracious appetites for learning - they love it. SL doesn't follow a nice, neat 4-yr. history cycle, but it's chronological in within different bounds, as someone above stated. If you peruse their site you can find an article stating why they don't do history in a 4-yr. chronological cycle. They do have reasons for they way they do things. Their science sort of does a spiral thing, returning to different parts of earth sci., biology, zoology, chemistry, etc. each year. It looks like it would feel less monotonous.

If you use their entire curriculum, their LA uses copywork, narration, & dictation which fit w/ the classical approach (is that classical? or just WTM?). SL, TOG, and MFW have all tempted me with their integrated subjects, where history or literature reading material is woven into writing assignments, etc. I yearn to simplify. :tongue_smilie:

Here's the deal on SL in a nutshell: If the thought of spending more time sitting on your butt reading books snuggled up to your kids than on any other subject sounds great, then SL is for you! Sounds good to me. :lol:

We are giving SL a more classical flavor by spreading out Cores 1 and 2 over four years and supplementing in SOTW vol. 1-4 as well. SL does not stress a formal study of English grammar, if you want to have a grammar focus in your language arts, you would need to add in a separate grammar program. SL does have a grammar supplement they say you can add in, but FLL is working well for us. SL's literature selections are outstanding and are easy to work into a classical framework. We have been enjoying our journey so far; it has been very full, but also very fun.

:drool5: You got the catalog didn't you. bawhahahah

Seach the forums here. There have been numerous threads since mid-March.

Mandy