Menu

Why do you LOVE using My Father's World?

I love MFW and this is why...

(I wrote this on the MFW board but I think it answers your question)

1. The Bible is the spine of MFW. I want my children to know why they believe what they believe and be able to quote it to anyone who asks. I want them to have read the Bible in it's entirety in school by the time they graduate.

2. Chronological History. It only makes sense to my feeble brain! You would not believe how many times I've said, "Oh, that's why they did that!". History builds on itself, it's so clear the cause and effect of things when looked at in order.

3. The worldview. MFW helps me teach my children our place in the world. It helps me to teach that we have a responsibility to tell the whole world about Jesus and that people just like us have done that throughout history.

4. Back to the Bible - I like that our art, our history, our science comes back to what we are learning in the Bible. It helps me show my children that God isn't in a box - He's everywhere and involved in everything.

5. Hands on activities and family learning. We loved all the feasts and festivals in CTG or Medieval Night Dinner in RTR or making and Eating Johnny Cakes in ADV. I like that I don't have to plan those on my own and they make learning so alive.

6. We can all learn together. It's so great to be able to have all of my children learning the same thing at the same time. The dinner discussions are so much fun from all their point of views.

I hope that you find what works for you and that you will have peace about your decision. I can tell you that I am so glad that we use MFW and have been 150% happy with it.

1. We can do it together (for the most part - I will end up with high schoolers and K-1st graders eventually LOL).

2. The activities are fun.

3. Chronological.

4. Several different books to read from, but not a gazillion that are NECESSARY (BTDT with TOG).

5. The book basket (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE).

6. Bible jives with the history. If the Bible isn't used AS part of the history, the topics go along, which is neat.

7. Often the science corresponds with history as well.

8. Includes art and music appreciation.

9. It is already scheduled for me.

10. The notes are the type of notes I'm looking for - extra information to help me prepare, but I don't have to spend hours reading them in order to prepare for that week (had to do that with TOG, and it drove me bonkers).

11. The Hazells have clearly actually READ the books that are assigned.

12. Age appropriate books/activities.

13. Most definitely Christian, but a particular "bent" is not pushed. At least I don't FEEL pushed anyway LOL.

14. Notebooking/timeline activities that are not overwhelming.

15. TOTALLY open up and go. I literally received my box on a Tuesday and started using it on Wednesday.

I'm sure there is more, but it's 12:05 A.M. LOL.

1. We can do it together (for the most part - I will end up with high schoolers and K-1st graders eventually LOL).

3. Chronological.

4. Several different books to read from, but not a gazillion that are NECESSARY (BTDT with TOG).

6. Bible jives with the history. If the Bible isn't used AS part of the history, the topics go along, which is neat.

10. The notes are the type of notes I'm looking for - extra information to help me prepare, but I don't have to spend hours reading them in order to prepare for that week (had to do that with TOG, and it drove me bonkers).

13. Most definitely Christian, but a particular "bent" is not pushed. At least I don't FEEL pushed anyway LOL.

15. TOTALLY open up and go. I literally received my box on a Tuesday and started using it on Wednesday.

I too am looking at MFW & TOG right now and am wondering if you feel it is any easier or less rigorous for the student than TOG? I've grasped from people's posts that it's easier, but have seen a few say it's easier for MOM (more evident than I ever realized by your #15 above); yet still rigorous for the student. Is this correct? Or does one require more of the student?

:lurk5:

I, too, was considering TOG for next year after using MFW....a process which lead me to question everything and go bonkers searching all kinds of curriculum:001_huh:.... and posted this in another thread:

I've been mulling this over for a while now.....praying, researching, looking at samples.....just about pulling my hair out in frustration. I was convinced that there was this "perfect curriculum" out there and I would find it if I just searched hard enough. I was looking at the following curriculum for these specific reasons: (not that they don't have other qualities, this was just my particular focus...)

WTM for solid classical education

TOG for discussions and biblically woven history

TRISMS for research

Robinson Curriculum for independence

WP and Sonlight for literature

Christian Cottage for activities and field trip ideas

....but I have come to the conclusion that MFW has the best balance of all of this. Every single aspect I was researching is covered but not so much to the exclusion of everything else. It is effective and efficient. It fits my teaching style, my lifestyle (new baby!), and best of all it fits my children's learning style---yet it still manages to stretch us where we need to be stretched. There are some areas where I need to expect more of myself and my children, but then there are some areas where it's good to relax and let some natural learning take place.

MFW has been and will continue to be my roadmap through this! :D

If you follow MFW guidelines your student will be doing plenty, and you will have realistic expectations of him/her.......PLUS you won't be pulling your hair out while pulling together lesson plans and schedules. Your time will be spent learning with and enjoying your children!!:grouphug:

3. Chronological.

:iagree: These are the reasons I have used MFW happily for 5 years and plan to stay with it through high school. BTW, another reason I love MFW is the intentional but gradual training during the middle school years to become independant learners, so they will be ready to do their high school. The lesson plans for math and science in middle school are written to the student. In high school, all of the lesson plans are written to the student. I will continue to be very involved, but will still have time to teach my younger ones.

:iagree:with all previous posters' reasons why they love MFW. We are using ECC this year but due to changes in our finances, we will use our own concoction of MFW in the upcoming year. If at all possible, we will definitely use MFW. My long range plan has been to use MFW all the way.

Update: We were just blessed with a MFW CTG Manual and some of the books so we will be using MFW in the upcoming school year. Yay! God is awesome!

Edited by sweetbaby
update

Hi Kirsten, I remember you from the HearthKeepers board. I still love your comment about keeping the floors clean :D!

LOL I don't remember at all what I said...remind me LOL!!!!!

I too am looking at MFW & TOG right now and am wondering if you feel it is any easier or less rigorous for the student than TOG? I've grasped from people's posts that it's easier, but have seen a few say it's easier for MOM (more evident than I ever realized by your #15 above); yet still rigorous for the student. Is this correct? Or does one require more of the student?

:lurk5:

That's a hard one to answer. What I have found (at least for MY kids anyway) is that MFW has more age-appropriate expectations. From what I saw (I used TOG for 2 years), the D is more high school level, and the R is more college level. In fact, I'm taking a Biblical Literature class right now at the college level, and it is way easier to understand than some of the TOG R stuff. (Although the volume of reading may kill me before this semester is over!:tongue_smilie: )

So "less rigorous?" Yes, I think so. But that is a GOOD thing, IMO. MFW IS still rigorous, but appropriately so.

I love MFW:

• Beacause it gets done! It's doable.
  • Uses a variety of resources so we aren't sick of it by the end of the year.
  • Schedules everything for me.
  • Great read-alouds.
  • 5 year history cycle. It's not like Sonlight where I have to make decisions every year. The cycle gets progressively more challenging.
  • Wonderful book basket suggestions.
  • Lots of great Bible incorporated.
  • Not too much hands on.
  • I can teach both kids together.
  • Inexpensive. Sets have an amazing re-sale value. You end up homeschooling for about $50 per year!

I just wish it had a detailed writing program included. MFW makes life so much more interesting and EASY for me. I still have options via the book basket, LA, writing and math. So I don't feel boxed into the same-old-thing for an entire year. It has truly been a blessing to me and my kids.

I love MFW and this is why...

(I wrote this on the MFW board but I think it answers your question)

1. The Bible is the spine of MFW. I want my children to know why they believe what they believe and be able to quote it to anyone who asks. I want them to have read the Bible in it's entirety in school by the time they graduate.

2. Chronological History. It only makes sense to my feeble brain! You would not believe how many times I've said, "Oh, that's why they did that!". History builds on itself, it's so clear the cause and effect of things when looked at in order.

3. The worldview. MFW helps me teach my children our place in the world. It helps me to teach that we have a responsibility to tell the whole world about Jesus and that people just like us have done that throughout history.

4. Back to the Bible - I like that our art, our history, our science comes back to what we are learning in the Bible. It helps me show my children that God isn't in a box - He's everywhere and involved in everything.

5. Hands on activities and family learning. We loved all the feasts and festivals in CTG or Medieval Night Dinner in RTR or making and Eating Johnny Cakes in ADV. I like that I don't have to plan those on my own and they make learning so alive.

6. We can all learn together. It's so great to be able to have all of my children learning the same thing at the same time. The dinner discussions are so much fun from all their point of views.

I hope that you find what works for you and that you will have peace about your decision. I can tell you that I am so glad that we use MFW and have been 150% happy with it.

:iagree:

These are the same reasons we like it so much! That and the fact that the planning is already done for me. It's almost open and go, with the exception of making a few copies, and a trip to the library every so often. We switched away from MFW last year, and totally hated it! So we are now back to stay!

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread! We are back to MFW after a break for a couple years (and trying everything under the sun....TOG, TQ, MOH, HOD, probably some others). We used it for K, 1st, Adventures, and just finished 1st with my second child.

I just bought RTR and can't wait to begin!

I really do love HOD, actually. Problem is, we have covered ancients-birth of Christ (a couple times), and I wanted to move on. HOD is just coming out with creation to Christ curriculum this August, and the next time period (which is what I need) won't be ready for another year. I bought Preparing, thinking I might use that, but each time we try it for a few days, my kids are frustrated that I am only reading very small portions of the scheduled books...they want to read a lot more together at each sitting from each subject. We are just used to reading a lot I guess. But if I go on ahead reading (in CHOW, Grandpa's Box, or the science books), we miss all the activities, projects, questions etc for the readings; an example is the One Small Square books. My son read the entire book in about 15 minutes. THat book is used for many weeks, and when I go back to it to do the scheduled assignments, he is groaning (and he is NOT a complainer usually). If I keep him from reading it all in the first place, he gets really frustrated that we are only reading a couple paragraphs and he wants more. I notice school becomes a time when he is hyper and agitated. The boy just wants long reading passages!

However, when I did school before, reading longer in each book, we never had this behavioral problem, truly. So, while I adore it, I think we need to be able to read more in each subject at each session (without getting WAY off schedule). Now if they had the right time period ready to buy, I would definitely try it and add some more books. But since they don't, and since he wants to read read read more from each assignment, I decided to look at other things again.

I will say that HOD does this by design, it is a CM idea to read small chunks and really savor them and really DO something with them. I think this is an excellent idea; however, in our case, it isn't working. I think I read too much to them while they were little, LOL! Now they need their 'fix' and are not satisfied with short sections.

I hope this helps; I adore HOD. Even with this, if they had their Rome to Ref time period ready, I would buy it in a heartbeat/

Edited by lovetobehome

I will say that HOD does this by design, it is a CM idea to read small chunks and really savor them and really DO something with them. I think this is an excellent idea; however, in our case, it isn't working. I think I read too much to them while they were little, LOL! Now they need their 'fix' and are not satisfied with short sections.

Well, sort of. If you compare the kind of books used in Ambleside with the kind of books used in HOD, there's a big difference in how much each daily "small chunk" consists of. Ambleside is actually closer to what Miss Mason would've done. I've found HOD to be very light compared to MFW's upper history years. But then again, since HOD's upper history years aren't done yet, one really can't compare, I guess.

MFW doesn't have a lot of read-alouds scheduled (it's similar to HOD in that way), but that huge book basket list in the back -- even in the 2nd/3rd grade Adventures program, adds a lot of meat for kids like yours and mine, Lovetobehome, who want more. ;) I don't even remember if I've responded to this thread, but that's one thing I do love about MFW... all the flexibility built into it for different types of learners and different reading levels.

You are right, and that is a very good point. Ambleside selections are LONG. My kids love LONG reading times. Not that I always get to it! The reading in Preparing is just like a morsel. Good, but too small.

We had a FANTASTIC day with MFW RTR today. My son asked me if we could keep doing this kind of school! And, I already placed a hold on the book basket books....my library actually had about 75% of them, which is a great thing! I think, like you said, my son will be thrilled to have the book basket with readings on topic. YAY!

MFW doesn't have a lot of read-alouds scheduled (it's similar to HOD in that way), but that huge book basket list in the back -- even in the 2nd/3rd grade Adventures program, adds a lot of meat for kids like yours and mine, Lovetobehome, who want more. ;) I don't even remember if I've responded to this thread, but that's one thing I do love about MFW... all the flexibility built into it for different types of learners and different reading levels.

Forgot to mention, while MFW doesn't have a lot of read-alouds scheduled -- only about 4-6 per year? -- they have other resources scheduled for history and science, so you're not dependent on just those read-alouds. The read-alouds expand upon the history, science, and Bible that are scheduled throughout the week. I like that aspect of it, too.

This thread has been so fun for me to read! A couple of weeks ago I received my RTR MFW resources and I can't wait to get started! I chose this curriculum for many of the reasons already mentioned. As I look at the TM, these are some of my favorite things:

• Open and go - so easy to use and follow
  • Doable projects for Bible, music, art, history & science all carfully scheduled and planned so each day is balanced
  • The book basket list is terrific!
  • I appreciate the fact that I can do my own grammar, math and foreign language.
  • LOVE that it's only 4 days a week. This gives us the flexibility to do things outside our home once a week
  • I like that timeline materials are built into the lesson plans
  • Notebooking!