Menu

Science for a 6th grader? Apologia Gen. Science?

Quiver0f10

I am not sure what to use with my 6th grader. He is an advanced reader and a good student. He really enjoys science and last year he did R&S science 5. I was planing on having him join my younger ones in apologia elementary science but I think he would prefer to work alone and in a textbook. I was thinking of general science, but if he does general in 6th and physical in 7th, what would he do in 8th? I really don't think I want him doing biology in 8th.

What other options are there? Thanks!

Is it possible for him to have his own Apologia 'elementary science' book to use separate from his sibling? Those books teach a lot of info, and have always been a hit in my house.

You might also investigate 'real science 4 kids' chemistry, physics and biology. we've used the chemistry, and it's quite well written but not so hard that it would make a student struggle thru it.

Also, another curriculum to investigate might be Sonlight Science 6. It was revamped this year, and I am considering it myself. Lots reading, along with experiments.

I am not sure what to use with my 6th grader. He is an advanced reader and a good student. He really enjoys science and last year he did R&S science 5. I was planing on having him join my younger ones in apologia elementary science but I think he would prefer to work alone and in a textbook. I was thinking of general science, but if he does general in 6th and physical in 7th, what would he do in 8th? I really don't think I want him doing biology in 8th.

What other options are there? Thanks!

Hi Jean!

I am just starting Apologia General for my oldest, she is still 5th. Though I sat down and wrote up her schedule, and unless she starts doing more on her own it will probably take her a month to do a module, which means 16 months to get through the whole thing.

At that point I will either have her move on to Physical, but take longer to finish it, or have her do the new sizzle, Solve & Survive! WP science program.

We will see how it goes...

Heather

My 6th grader is currently using BJU. We do the experiments (listed in the TM) together with her younger sister, then she completes the reading on her own and we discuss.

BJU was my choice for this year, but we were going to do DVD or online. The price is too much for us so I dropped the idea. Maybe we could do it without DVD until high school. I need to give it more thought.

Yes, it's a light science program but you could always add other science books to it like Microbe Hunters, Science Matters, The Boy Scientist, and CLP Nature Reader 5, etc. to beef it up if it's not enough.

Hmm I didn't think of that! LOL I will give them a look.

Is it possible for him to have his own Apologia 'elementary science' book to use separate from his sibling? Those books teach a lot of info, and have always been a hit in my house.

You might also investigate 'real science 4 kids' chemistry, physics and biology. we've used the chemistry, and it's quite well written but not so hard that it would make a student struggle thru it.

Also, another curriculum to investigate might be Sonlight Science 6. It was revamped this year, and I am considering it myself. Lots reading, along with experiments.

I think he could definitely do the elementary apologia book on his own and he might enjoy that. That might work too. Thanks.

My dd did General Science in 6th grade and had no problems with it. In fact, that was the year she discovered that she really, really likes science. In seventh we did some of the living books nature studies from Queen Homeschool which she really enjoyed also, then in eighth we went back to Physcial Science. In hindsight, it probably would have made more sense to reverse the sixth and seventh grade curriculums but it did work out just fine for her.

Thanks, heather. I thought of spreading it out and taking more than a year, but I wasn't sure how it would work out. I didn't know WP had science programs. I will have to look at that! :D

Well you do know I share. :) If you decide to go for it drop me an e-mail and I will send you what I came up with.

Heather

JUst my .02...Since I have two younger children and budget concerns, I was planning on using one of the elementary apologia books for all and then supplementing with more books and lapbooks for my 6th grader to do on her own. I did that before and it worked well. I just need a "middle ground" spine for everyone for my own sanity.

But my 6th grader is also a good student and voracious reader, so turning her loose with extra books and reporting back to me should work really well. She already does that with other things. So really the Apologia text will just be the starting point for her. I have tried doing a more involving science curriculum with experiments and everything just for her (Sonlight)but with two younger children that just didn't work, so I needed something for the hands-on part that could work with all of them, and then deeper study for her independently.

Jamie R.

I was thinking of general science, but if he does general in 6th and physical in 7th, what would he do in 8th? I really don't think I want him doing biology in 8th.

Jean,

A couple of my kids have done General Science in 6th with no problems (and I know several friends' dc who have done the same with no problems). And two ideas for the middle years science: first, a year of Earth Science. My 7th grader will be doing Runkles this year. Second, I would highly recommend a year of delight directed science. I did that one year with my dc and we loved it! My oldest researched quail, met with a biologist, built an incubator, brooder and cage, and went on to raise several generations of quail. DD (then 10) pursued organic gardening and square foot gardening and my 2nd son (then 9) had a project with chickens. You could also add in a science fair project.

Just a couple of thoughts!

Lisa

I think he could definitely do the elementary apologia book on his own and he might enjoy that. That might work too. Thanks.

This is what I'm doing with my 6th grader this year, and it's really working out well. The elementary Apologia yahoo group has files with different tests/review sheets that people have uploaded, if you want to include that as well. I'm doing it to help prepare him for 7th grade Apologia, if we end up using it.

Jean,

A couple of my kids have done General Science in 6th with no problems (and I know several friends' dc who have done the same with no problems). And two ideas for the middle years science: first, a year of Earth Science. My 7th grader will be doing Runkles this year. Second, I would highly recommend a year of delight directed science. I did that one year with my dc and we loved it! My oldest researched quail, met with a biologist, built an incubator, brooder and cage, and went on to raise several generations of quail. DD (then 10) pursued organic gardening and square foot gardening and my 2nd son (then 9) had a project with chickens. You could also add in a science fair project.

Lisa

:iagree:

We are also square foot gardening. I just got The Handbook of Nature Study (finally) and my kids are nature journalling their way through the field in our backyard. Bugs, grass, trees, ants....are all being drawn and labled in great detail for hours each day.

Micah (11) is going to do general science for 7th, but I want him to have a year or so of free learning. At this age he can draw very well and his nature notebook is fun to look at.

Jean,

Second, I would highly recommend a year of delight directed science. I did that one year with my dc and we loved it! My oldest researched quail, met with a biologist, built an incubator, brooder and cage, and went on to raise several generations of quail. DD (then 10) pursued organic gardening and square foot gardening and my 2nd son (then 9) had a project with chickens. You could also add in a science fair project.

Lisa

I think he would really like this and the other kids could jump in too. This fits more with what I had in mind for them, but I keep grabbing the textbooks to make sure we don't miss anything, kwim? :glare:

it's not overwhelming, leaving time for other science, and has good suggestions for science experiments and activities; and you're covering the basic science topics in a systematic way with a textbook.

http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/6/science/

Then do Apologia Gen. Science for gr. 7 which is more intense.

Thanks, I will check them out.