Menu

Please suggest comprehensive programs for literature/grammar/writing.

Does my question make sense?

I am looking for the programs or curriculum choices that cover as many aspects as possible of "language arts". For example, I love that Notgrass history includes literature suggestions and writing assignments -- but I'm disappointed that we'll have to pull from other resources for literary analysis and writing instruction. That sort of defeats the purpose if my goal is to have as few separate subjects as possible. And I'm very excited about LLfLOTR, but I realize we'll have to pull from another resource for the "how to's" of the writing assignments (at least it appears that everything else is covered!)

Based on the samples I've seen, it appears that LLATL high school levels covers literary analysis, grammar, and writing instruction.

It also appears that MFW covers literary analysis and writing instruction in their program manual (I read that there are comprehensive lessons on essay writing, for example).

I know R&S covers grammar and composition; and I've heard excellent reviews of CLE literature. Abeka English has separate components (literature, grammar/comp, and vocabulary) but they are all scheduled out nicely in one curriculum guide).

I understand the goal is to write across the curriculum, and we've never seemed to quite manage that. There are plenty of literature and history programs that offer writing assignments, but it would seem rare that one offers both assignments and instruction (I guess the idea is that you usually have a separate writing program for the mechanics; and that's the problem for us -- we never get past the writing program to do any other writing).

Anything else? To my way of thinking, LLATL is the most ideal, in that it puts grammar and writing in the context of literature. Of course, that's a lot to ask of a program.

I really like the Classical Writing program. It incorporates grammar, spelling or vocab, literature analysis, oral reading and writing. As you progress thru the program the English grammar lessons are replaced with logic lessons (both thru an outside curriculum but they are scheduled within the CW program). Then the lessons learned are reviewed with the current weeks model... so the skills get used. Rhetoric is also taught in the later levels. There is a lot of help for the user on the Classical Writing message boards where the authors of the prgm answer questions. From Diogenes level and up there are also addition literature reading suggestions to further the understanding of the current model and writing lesson.

hth

I really like the Classical Writing program. It incorporates grammar, spelling or vocab, literature analysis, oral reading and writing. As you progress thru the program the English grammar lessons are replaced with logic lessons (both thru an outside curriculum but they are scheduled within the CW program). Then the lessons learned are reviewed with the current weeks model... so the skills get used. Rhetoric is also taught in the later levels. There is a lot of help for the user on the Classical Writing message boards where the authors of the prgm answer questions. From Diogenes level and up there are also addition literature reading suggestions to further the understanding of the current model and writing lesson.

hth

I want to like CW -- I really do, especially after reading LCC. But it looks so overwhelming to me! Is it hard to use? It looks so complicated but maybe I'm just not getting it.

I actually bought and sold Aesop without actually using it, but that was several years ago. I could be tempted to give it a second try, now that my girls are older.

Hi ChristyB!

no time to write more, but check out Tapestry of Grace for literature ans writing. You would need to add grammar - really good lit analysis at the HS level.

April

I have heard wonderful things about TOG, and gave it some serious thought, but after reviewing a friend's materials, I realized it was much too teacher-directed to work well for my family. My dd has a strong preference for textbooks and workbooks. Thanks for the suggestion, though, as TOG definitely covers a LOT of territory in one program!

I want to like CW -- I really do, especially after reading LCC. But it looks so overwhelming to me! Is it hard to use? It looks so complicated but maybe I'm just not getting it.

I actually bought and sold Aesop without actually using it, but that was several years ago. I could be tempted to give it a second try, now that my girls are older.

Actually I haven't found it hard to use. There's a pattern to it, which I like. The analysis part is broken down into 4 days and the writing portion has about 3 stages.... not days since some kids are faster writers then others. If your kids are older, don't go back to Aesop. Ask on the CW message boards, they may be able to start with either Older Beginners (which is Aesop & Homer combined --narrative writing and lots of grammar) or Diogenes Maxium (beginning essay writing w/some more grammar). Definitly look into getting the workbooks as they make it much easier to use ... 'open and go, do the next thing'. For each week the workbook tells them what to do in their grammar book as well. (and later levels will say what to work on in their logic books!)

My favorite part of CW is how they have the kids apply what they learned in grammar and lit analysis and later logic and rhetoric, they are not just a list of separate subjects!

Good luck finding what will really work for your family! If you have any other CW questions I'd be glad to help.

--Kathie in VA

Actually I haven't found it hard to use. There's a pattern to it, which I like.

I have had periods where CW seemed overwhelming and wasn't getting done, so I think I understand. However, I've been so pleased with my dd's progress! I've gotten comfortable with Homer, and Diogenes looks great too! Just hang in there until it's clear.

Also, don't forget that CW offers online classes!

In grade 9, they do half a semester English the other half literature - http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/11 CLick "View Details" then the numbers "01" to "05" to see samples. HTH!

I have considered this, several times, but I've never been able to see samples.

One big question, though -- I don't recognize ANY of the stories. Do they use classic literature or material written just for their program?

I have heard the Smarr Literature Courses are wonderful for this age. I have not personally used them. But, several of my friends have and LOVED them. You might want to check it out. :)

WOW!!!!

This might be the winner. I am *VERY* impressed; thanks for pointing out this program. You know, I have heard of this, it had just completely slipped my mind.

Guest Katia
WOW!!!!

This might be the winner. I am *VERY* impressed; thanks for pointing out this program. You know, I have heard of this, it had just completely slipped my mind.

I love Smarr. It works perfectly for our dd. And the author and his wife are so lovely to work with as well. Very helpful and courteous.

Just a little side-line about Smarr, is that if your dc has previously studied any of the works in a package, they will customize your package by substituting other selections/works that they have study guides for. They have done this for me twice now, and I can't tell you how helpful this has been.

Wish we had used this from the beginning instead of waiting until 11th grade. Ah, well, we are benefiting from it now.

I have considered this, several times, but I've never been able to see samples.

One big question, though -- I don't recognize ANY of the stories. Do they use classic literature or material written just for their program?

If you go to the scope and sequence (p. 18 and 19) , you can see the titles, but not the authors. I do have the book here, so if you want to know the author of a story, I can give you that.

I think the material is mostly mixed.

Some of the more well know authors that are included are:

Leo Tolstoy

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Robert Browning

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

John Bunyan

Ralph Waldo Emerson

William Shakespeare

William Cullen Bryant

John Milton

Christina Rossetti