Menu

Latin's Not So Tough! by Greek 'n' Stuff

Aloha2U

I love Level 2 of this program for a gentle introduction of Latin to younger ages, say....Grades 3 and below. It introduces Latin vocabulary in a friendly, workbook format. Beyond that, I'm not crazy about it. I don't care for the way the grammar is taught in Level 3 and beyond, and I don't think an entire book is necessary to teach the Latin alphabet in Level 1.

What age are you searching for? For Grades 4-6 I love Great Latin Adventure (classicallegacypress.com), and Grades 7 and up I think Latin Prep by Galore Park is fantastic. Grades 3 and under I love Elementary Latin by Nancy Sattler.

Hope this helps!

I love Level 2 of this program for a gentle introduction of Latin to younger ages, say....Grades 3 and below. It introduces Latin vocabulary in a friendly, workbook format. Beyond that, I'm not crazy about it. I don't care for the way the grammar is taught in Level 3 and beyond, and I don't think an entire book is necessary to teach the Latin alphabet in Level 1.

What age are you searching for? For Grades 4-6 I love Great Latin Adventure (classicallegacypress.com), and Grades 7 and up I think Latin Prep by Galore Park is fantastic. Grades 3 and under I love Elementary Latin by Nancy Sattler.

Hope this helps!

Do you think Level 2 is redundant if a child has already gone through Song School Latin? And would you consider Elementary Latin to be a good bridge between SSL and LfC?

OP, I hope you don't mind me bumping in - I have been wondering the same thing as you! :001_smile:

I'm sorry; I haven't had the chance to become familiar with SSL yet! My instincts though are that some portions of EL might be redundant, but other parts could still be very very helpful. She begins the program, for example, with a whole slew of chants for the declension and conjugation endings, as well as chants for common verbs. These could help ANYBODY studying or about to study any Latin grammar program!!

I used Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek Levels 1 and 2. I was starting Greek with a 1st and 3rd grader and I wanted to spend more time on the alphabet. I switched to Elementary Greek the next year and everything that we covered in Level 1 and 2 was covered in about the first 4 weeks of EG.

What age are you searching for?

I'm considering starting Level 1 with my ds in 1st grade (Level 2 in 2nd, Level 3 in 3rd, etc.) as I have family who is using LNST, so the materials for levels 3-6 will most likely be available to me when we reach them - as well as the experience that they will have with it. I recently read a review wherein it was stated that... Latin's Not So Tough would be a fine introductory program before moving on to an intensive program like Latin in the Christian Trivium, which uses ecclesiastical pronunciation, Ecce Romani, which continues with classical pronunciation and is recommended for students as young as sixth grade if they have a basic grammar background. This could be an option for us after LNST.

Do you perchance have any experience with Latin in the Christian Trivium?

Do you think Level 2 is redundant if a child has already gone through Song School Latin? And would you consider Elementary Latin to be a good bridge between SSL and LfC?

OP, I hope you don't mind me bumping in - I have been wondering the same thing as you! :001_smile:

Not at all... I'd be interested to know this myself. Thank you for asking. :001_smile:

ETA: Also considering the possibility of starting Greek in 5th/6th/7th (?) using Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek!

Edited by CMama

You might want to read this review from "way back" by SWB: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/A00review.html.

I bought Level 3 some years back and returned it. I just could not make head nor tails of how to teach it, and even with my limited knowledge of Latin, saw some mistakes and assumptions that weren't quite right.

A friend of mine's college-age son who tutors Latin calls it "Latin Shouldn't be This Hard."

I can't make comments on the Greek, but there are better choices for Latin IMHO if it's a language you plan to continue.

we started LNST 3 this year and had a wonderful experience with it. Previously we completed Minimus and part of LFC (did not like that at all). I found LNST to be very easy to teach and I have zero latin background. Dd is doing very well with it and will progress nicely. I found it to be the first program I have used (Minimus, LFC, Matin Latin) that made sense. If there is an easier one out there, I will gladly look at it!

Do you perchance have any experience with Latin in the Christian Trivium?

I am afraid that yes, I do have experience with LCT. I taught it in our co-op for half a year before we tossed it and started afresh with Latin Prep. Honestly, I truly disliked it. I didn't like the way the grammar was taught, and I didn't like the authors' lax approach to macrons. I actually spoke with one of the authors at one point about the latter issue, and she reminded me that there are two schools of thought about macrons in Latin: one is that they DO matter, and one is that they DON'T really matter. My point was that whether you decide that they do or they don't matter, one should be consistent in one's text with their placement! If there is a chart of the conjugation of amo in the beginning of the book, its macrons should be in the SAME places as the chart of the same conjugation in the end section of the book! I do like the macrons, but only as a tool to make the endings easier for Latin beginners. And again, if the macrons are jumping all over the place in the text, it can be quite confusing for those beginners.

I'm sure that you could find a hundred other people that absolutely love the curriculum; I know of many myself, so please take this only as one person's opinion!!

I have never seen Ecce Romani, but I have NOT heard good reviews of it at all. Again, because of the way grammar is taught. If you are interested in that one, research it thoroughly.

Regarding the other curricula that you mentioned, I would advise you not to go with one curriculum only because it is available to you. So many people that I know have had trouble with the grammar in LNST. And I do know from first-hand experience that the way the grammar is laid out there can be confusing for the students and can make things difficult in their understanding later on if you want to go on in Latin. It's just not made as simple as it could be.

I've posted a lot here yesterday, so you may know my recommendations already! I've heard great things about Song School Latin, though I have not seen it yet. I love Elementary Latin by Nancy Sattler for 2nd grade and under. And Great Latin Adventure by Birkett (classicallegacypress.com) is amazing for 3rd - 6th graders. Latin Prep is wonderful for 7th grade and up.

I am afraid that yes, I do have experience with LCT. I taught it in our co-op for half a year before we tossed it and started afresh with Latin Prep. Honestly, I truly disliked it. I didn't like the way the grammar was taught, and I didn't like the authors' lax approach to macrons. I actually spoke with one of the authors at one point about the latter issue, and she reminded me that there are two schools of thought about macrons in Latin: one is that they DO matter, and one is that they DON'T really matter. My point was that whether you decide that they do or they don't matter, one should be consistent in one's text with their placement! If there is a chart of the conjugation of amo in the beginning of the book, its macrons should be in the SAME places as the chart of the same conjugation in the end section of the book! I do like the macrons, but only as a tool to make the endings easier for Latin beginners. And again, if the macrons are jumping all over the place in the text, it can be quite confusing for those beginners.

And I also tried LCT for self-study, but flipping back and forth to figure out their scheme of macrons led me to sell it. Having been raised speaking and reading both German and Spanish, I couldn't imagine a textbook that wasn't consistent with the markings of a language. There truly are better resources out there IMHO.