Menu

Do you have a planner that you like?

I was just wondering if you have a planner that you like? I have tried hs tracker and think I would prefer something that I could write on. I have looked at the teacher planner online at Rod and Staff.

Is there anything that you use that you like?

Thank you!:001_smile:

I use a standard, blank, academic year planner from the office supply store, I draw lines to divide the horizontal spaces into enough lines for all our subjects. It is a week at a glance, and I alternate pages between teh two kids. I have only two, If I had another I think I might get a different color planner for each child.

I use teeny stickers to mark what we've finished right on the planning sheet.

It is working for us. I to want to write on something.

~Chrisitne in AL

I love the Homeschooler's Journal. Blocks run across the page for a day's entry. So on one page you have the blocks lined up with the top row being Monday...it extends to the right side of the notebook. Then below Monday comes Tuesday row of blocks. There's plenty of room to write stuff in there, but the blocks are unlined.

However, What I think is neat is that it doesn't say what day of the week you are on, or have things listed by subjects...so you can write down a Wednesday on the top row if that's where you are starting off on, and you can write in whatever subjects you are doing across the top also...so if you ever change subjects then you just write different headings at the top.

I think it works great with our open and go style. There's alot more to it, but usually I just use it as a journal to record what we've done for the day.

Alison in KY

Homeschool Journal and Homeschool High School Journal. Loved them both. They also have places to write in books read, videos, extracurricular things, etc. It was a good way to go back and answer questions others asked when they were looking for advice or suggestions.

I love the Homeschooler's Journal. Blocks run across the page for a day's entry. So on one page you have the blocks lined up with the top row being Monday...it extends to the right side of the notebook. Then below Monday comes Tuesday row of blocks. There's plenty of room to write stuff in there, but the blocks are unlined.

However, What I think is neat is that it doesn't say what day of the week you are on, or have things listed by subjects...so you can write down a Wednesday on the top row if that's where you are starting off on, and you can write in whatever subjects you are doing across the top also...so if you ever change subjects then you just write different headings at the top.

I think it works great with our open and go style. There's alot more to it, but usually I just use it as a journal to record what we've done for the day.

Alison in KY

Do you use one per child or one total?

I use the School Planner for Homeschooling Mothers from RR. I have one for each of my girls. For the next school year my youngest starts K, so I'm going to get it in three different colors so each child has their own color. I also like that it has a weekly assignment sheet in the back that you make a copy of and give to your child.

Cover

Inside left

Inside right

I've also used the Corebook from Tanglewood. It's in a PDF that you print out.

Monti

I really like the one from goodnewsplanners.com - they have both Catholic and Protestant versions, and each week has some lessons from the Bible (in the Catholic one it's from the readings for the following Sunday). There is a section with teaching ideas for those days, then a section with 2 pages per week of the big squares for lesson planning, plus lots of supplemental info. They also have student planners for 4 different levels (the K-2 one has games & stuff related to the weekly readings, olders have places to write their assignments and journaling). My only complaint - the shipping on a teacher planner plus 2 student planners is about $10, almost as much as the price of the books! But if you can find someone nearby and combine an order, that would make it better.

I use the School Planner for Homeschooling Mothers from RR. I have one for each of my girls. For the next school year my youngest starts K, so I'm going to get it in three different colors so each child has their own color. I also like that it has a weekly assignment sheet in the back that you make a copy of and give to your child.

Cover

Inside left

Inside right

I've also used the Corebook from Tanglewood. It's in a PDF that you print out.

Monti

Monti,

I really like the look of the planner at RR! I love that I could have a different planner for each child.

My question is, do you fill it out for each child only a week in advance? I tried filling out my planner for an entire term and ended up having to erase, scribble and cross out a lot. My type A self hates that. :D Just today I had the brilliant idea to do it a week at a time! However, methinks there should be more planning ahead than that.

My question is, do you fill it out for each child only a week in advance? I tried filling out my planner for an entire term and ended up having to erase, scribble and cross out a lot. My type A self hates that. :D Just today I had the brilliant idea to do it a week at a time! However, methinks there should be more planning ahead than that.

I'm not Monti ;) but here's my method - since the library lets us take books out for 3 weeks, that's about how far ahead I plan. I'll write down the next couple of weeks, get relevant library books and add them into my plan, then the following week look one more week out past where I had stopped before. I also have a monthly calendar that has some general goals, but I pretty much ignore that, mostly because I forget it's there (earlier section in the same book). :lol: So right now, I have planned this week, next, and part of the one after - that third week will fill in over the next week or so, then I'll move to the one after that.

I really like the one from goodnewsplanners.com - they have both Catholic and Protestant versions, and each week has some lessons from the Bible (in the Catholic one it's from the readings for the following Sunday).

:iagree: My two younger kids each have one of these. The extra column for spelling words is helpful, as well.

Cindy

Monti,

I really like the look of the planner at RR! I love that I could have a different planner for each child.

For my oldest I fill in the lesson planner (the pages in the links) about 1 or 2 months ahead. But I make copies of the weekly sheet (there's only 1 in the back of the planner) and fill in for dd. I can adjust assignments on her weekly sheet if we become ahead/behind the plans I've made. I do the same for my first grader, but skip the weekly sheet.

For next year I want to plan ahead futher. This book has helped me break it down into smaller chunks, Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education.

It's divided into five parts:

1. Your Big Picture

2. Your Year

3. Your Term (you can easily adjust for quarter or semester)

4. Your Week

5. Your Day

Even if your not into CM, I think it would still be helpful. I bought the e-book version. I wish I had bought the hold in your hands book version. I ended up printing out the whole thing, I need something with pages I can flip through.

Monti

For the last three years, I've used The Plan Book With Pizazz. It's a Frank Schaffer Publication, and I get it from the local teacher store.

I like it because it's very versatile. It is large format, with room for up to 13 subjects across a two-page spread. The columns are delineated by color (light purple, and lighter purple), but there is no line between them. This allows you to use two columns for subjects that require more writing (like history). And, having so many columns allows space for little things like memory work, and life skills, that don't usually fit in a planner.

I also like that it has a pocket in the front cover, for our attendance sheet. It has monthly calendars, and things you won't need (like seating charts), but it is super easy to use. I have one for each of my dc.

Here it is at LearningIsFun.com. The picture only shows half of the two-page spread. The facing page is all columns, all the way across.

http://www.learningisfun.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=91915

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

When I used the Homeschool planner, I only had one planner. MIne. I had 3 kids going at one time and and I used it in various ways. SOmetimes they had their own column and I could write their lessons in their box or sometimes I used the boxes as History Math, whatever..and then each student had a note for their lesson. Eventually I had 2 planners, one for my Highschooler and the other for my younger sons. They did a lot of their classes together, but when they didn't again I marked the box Math and just put in their work.

The Homeschool planner has a linear calendar in the front that I used for my goal setting planning or break periods etc. I would set up my calendar with the local school district's calendar. I would ask my neighbors who were PS teachers for their dates and get my calendar set up in August for the upcoming year.

I would usually do my short term planning a week or two in advance, but on the linear calendar I could keep track of my goals for Math or Science.

There is one very similar by the same company that is not for high school, earlier poster mentioned it. I get it at Rainbow.

However, I would really like a planner with boxes to check off.

I don't want one for a trad. classroom teacher tho, those have too many categories that I don't use.

Any one have ideas? I give ea of my dtr's the above planner and then I just use my computer for my own.

Thanks!

Lisaj