Menu

Winston or Analytical Grammar?

sted

Hi,

I'm wondering what would be best for my grade 6 daughter. Winston Grammar or Analytical Grammar?

Thanks,

Shannon

Married for 13 years to my wonderful husband Ted!

:patriot:Grade 5 dd: using Classical Writing Homer, Math U See (Epsilon), Noeo science (chemistry), Harvey's Grammar, and is studying Canadian history by going through the Story of Canada book.

:lurk5:Grade 3 dd: using Writing With Ease, Explode the Code 4, Math U See (Beta), Noeo science (chemistry) and is studying Canadian history by going through the Story of Canada book.

:DGrade K dd: using Explode the Code 2, Math U See (Alpha), likes helping with science and is reading a geography book.

:auto:Preschooler age 4 ds: wants to be a fireman, and would like to drive a tow truck when he grows up. The "boy" type!

:001_smile:Our almost 1-year old dd who is a very happy baby!

Shannon,

Winston follows a more traditional sequence. It also has nice cards, so you can write the sentence out on a whiteboard, then place the cards above the words for the parts of speech they are (nice hands on element).

Analytical Grammar has an unusual sequence. It eliminates other parts of speech before finding the subject and verb. Another nifty thing is you find Adjectives before pronouns, so you are more likely to spot a pronoun used as an adjective. The order they used works better for me than the traditional approach. They also encourage you to make 3x5 cards on each of the parts of speech. I made them up then put them on a ring in order that they are introduced, so my dd can just start at the first card and work her way through the ring till she finishes the sentence. I have been very pleased with the results.

Heather

We have been using Winston Grammar, and it has worked well for us. We had been using an Abeka course for grammar, but DS wasn't really learning and remembering anything. He has really learned with WG. One down side is that there's often just one worksheet for a new concept. If you don't get it, there's not another worksheet to go through. We could use additional review, but it's not too much of a problem. I haven't worked with Analytic Grammar, so can't comment....

Vanessa

Both Analytical Grammar and Winston use the method where they teach you a new concept and have you mark up sentences. However, AG also asks you to diagram the sentences.

I dont have Winston Advanced yet so I cant comment on how advanced it gets. However Winston basic is finally working very well with my dyslexic son. He is good with grammar but the way it is presented matters. I found AG to have too small print- very hard for a kid who is dysgraphic to write above the sentences. Winston is larger print. AG is intended for older kids though so its not a criticism of the program- its just that for my son, the print is too small.

AG is an excellent program and well up to WTM standards, although one would have to find some way to review since the program can be done in a year- I think there is a review book. My daughter has done well with AG- we have spread it out.

Winston is a good grammar program that teaches far more grammar than they learn in most schools, and it is presented in a way that is popular with many homeschoolers- but it doesn't teach diagramming. After trying many programs wih my ds, I don't care any more. He understands the basics of diagramming- he wasn't retaining the basics of grammar. Now it is sticking. There is also a review book for WG for kids who need more practice- each worksheet mirrors the one in the main book, just with different sentences.

I see now you are using CW. I would go with AG, because you need to learn the diagramming.

We are much happier with Winston.

The print/font of AG made me crazy and my son who is mildly dyslexic, preferred and is doing very well with Winston.

I have purchased Winston Advanced, and it is just what it says, advanced. It looks like a very thorough program and I can't wait to learn right along with him as we have both been doing with Winston. We will be doing the Word Works in between first.

HTH,

Dee in Sunny FL!

I agree with Peela, part of the CW thing is to be able to diagram the sentences. Unless you can teach it on your own with Winston it might just be the easier route.

About the font, I totally agree. I actually am typing their sentences into MS Word, so I can re-size them. I am also having my dd do the program at half pace. When AG introduces a topic it will give the child 3 "exercises" to learn it. Each exercise has 10 sentences. Then the child wraps up with a test over the material to make sure they mastered it. Again that is another 10 sentences to work with.

Technically AG was intended to be used over 3 years. I think there is twice where the child is to pause the program. Once after the first 10 weeks, but I don't remember the other spot or what work was recommended to do in between sessions. Because we are going at half pace I plan to just go straight through. Even that will probably take a full two years, hsing year around or maybe a little longer (in other words we will finish Homer A, B and Beginning Poetry A and B before finishing JAG completely).

I am also doing the diagramming work in Homer, so my dd does grammar daily: Monday: 1/2 an AG exercise; Tuesday: 1/2 an AG exercise; Wednesday: Homer Grammar; Thursday 1/2 an AG exercise (or test as it may be).

Now if you want to discuss the unusually markings that CW recommends for diagramming, it would be a good time to do it. :D Once you have taught one way it is hard to get my kids to change, and I kinda like the more distinctive approach CW uses.

Heather

Both are good; Analytical Grammar also includes punctuation, capitalization, and word usage (grammar "mechanics" practice), while Winston does not. Winston is geared for visual/hands-on learning style; Analytical Grammar is a workbook program. Winston has 3 levels, purchased separately; Analytical Grammar is a single program able to be spread over 3 years. Hopefully, input from these past threads will better help you compare. BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmly, Lori D.

Winston Grammar

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72333&highlight=Winston

Winston Grammar?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37313&highlight=winston+grammar

Winston Grammar Anyone? (compares Winston and Analytical Grammar)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28375&highlight=winston+grammar

Analytical Grammar Users: Can You Share Pros and Cons?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16693&highlight=winston+grammar

Winston Grammar vs. Analytical Grammar

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12550&highlight=winston+grammar

What Grammar Do You Use for 7th/8th Grade?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12418&highlight=winston+grammar

One down side is that there's often just one worksheet for a new concept. If you don't get it, there's not another worksheet to go through. We could use additional review, but it's not too much of a problem.

I purchased the Supplemental Workbook, and the extra worksheet for each lesson helped my ds a lot. We're now working WG 'the Lori D. way', lol. We do approx. 3 sentences a day together, and the slower pace of taking a couple weeks for each lesson has improved retention, reduced frustration and grammar is an enjoyable part of our day.