Menu

Tale of Desperaux Movie - does anyone die?

Dh brought home this movie for dd tonight, but after reading the mixed reviews about the book, I'm hesitant to let her watch it. She is very sensitive about characters losing someone close to them, dying, etc. Which is funny because she has no problem with H.P. or LOTR. For example, she cried at the end of Prince Caspian because Susan and Peter couldn't come back to Narnia. I mean she bawled.

So does anyone die or does Desperaux have any sad moments?

Thanks for your help!

I hadn't read the book - but i found this a dark movie and really don't plan on buying it. The kids enjoyed it and didn't seem to have the issues i had. But it wasn't "cheerful" at all to me.

I can say that we saw it the same week - and after - haven't seen Bedtime Stories, and i rather would have seen Bedtime Stories again.

And yes, the whole story-line revolves around someone dying and the lack of joy in life and such. There is other stuff. I didn't recommend it to a friends DD who is very sensitive. She had read the book without issue though.

We read the book and listened to the audio book. it is a very dark stlying of story. Death(2 mothers) , father sold the little girl and wacks her in the head so much she goes partially deaf, etc.

My children still enjoyed listening to it but if you daughter gets bothered by those things it might be too much for her.

The movie is quite different from the book. In the beginning the queen dies of fright from seeing a rat in her soup. (You don't know her as a character, so you aren't at all emotionally invovled with her.) The bad rat dies in the end, but you don't see it. The king and the princess are very sad about the queen's death which sets up the premise of the movie-life is sad and dreary withouth sunshine and soup. :-) The movie wasn't very good, as far as I'm concerned. I was glad we had seen it at a free showing! :-)

The bad rat dies in the end, but you don't see it.

What???!!!! How did that happen?

(Don't read below if you don't want to know how the book ends!)

In the book, the princess doesn't allow anyone to kill Roscuro. She chooses to forgive him in order to save her own heart from darkness, and she welcomes him to a feast of soup in the ballroom. He receives her forgiveness and tells her about Migery Sow's father in the dungeon. The two are reunited and he treats her like a princess for the rest of her days. So, how does the movie end?