Menu

Christian Light users...

eksargent

Tell me how much you like it.

I recently found them and I really like everything they offer. I started using their math with my oldest son. We love it. So, I am thinking about changing over and using some (or all) of their other subjects. So, what do you like about them? What do you use? What about the extra resources...like the planner?

What should I know before jumping in?

We just started with CLE LA and Reading this year. We LOVE it! I am using both this year with my 5th and 3rd graders. My children work independently for the most part, it's portable, easy to grade, comprehensive, Christian-centered, and fairly inexpensive. I so regret not using it with my 7th grader this year. We may be working over the summer to get him caught up to move into level 8. The only words of wisdom I have for you is that you may find your children struggle with the LA and Reading in the beginning if they have not been doing a comprehensive program up to this point. It took my 5th grader about 3 months before he was correctly answering most of the questions on his own.

HTH,

April in WA

My older ds used CLE reading 7 & 8. My younger ds used CLE math 5 & now 6; CLE reading 4 & 5.

Next year we'll try CLE LA 7 instead of R&S English; along with CLE math 7 & reading 6.

We probably will not use CLE science or history.

I highly recommend CLE math & reading!!

I love their Bible and Language Arts. :) We are already happy with our math (Singapore) or we would have switched that as well. We are using DITHOR for reading or I would be using CLE. I just like the approach of DITHOR better in that it using actual chapter books that you get some choice in rather than a "reader."

I use WWE 1 and 2 for my boys. I see in your sig that you use WWE as well. So you use this in addition to the CLE LA? And DITHOR...I haven't heard of that. What is it?

Glad to hear the CLE math is going well! My dd9 has done half of 1, and all of 2 and we're in 3 and we love it! Starting ds6 in CLE 1 in the fall!

Dd is now doing Reading 5 and we really like it-we do it orally. (We do other lit as well though so it's not just from a "reader"-but she does like the reader!)

We are currently using Reading 300 & 400, Social Studies 3, Math grades 1 & 2.

Next year we will use

CLE Reading for grades 1-5

Social Studies 2, 3, 4 & 6

Science 2, 3, 4 & 6

Language Arts 2 & 4 (skip the spelling part)

Bible 4 & 6

I do plan to use a different writing program though.

I love the L.U. they are not overwhelming for my children. My dc work on their own which is a big help. I try to correct daily to keep on top of everything.

Hi Emily,

We have used CLE for three years now. I started with language arts with my oldest two. They were in 5th and 7th at the time. We have been using it ever since. It is thorough. It includes diagramming which is important to me, but it doesn't over kill it in a single lesson. My children can read the lesson and complete the work on their own. If they can't it is fairly easy for me to pick it up and help them. I don't use all of the language arts components. We use a different spelling because I have struggling spellers. I really like the workbook format. We prefer it to textbooks.

Last year I decided to try CLE reading in the upper grades. I was using 6th and 8th at the time. The material is so much better than the R&S that we were using. The lesson content is deeper and more inferential. The children come in contact with a lot of literary terms very early in the program. They are also introduced to Latin and Greek roots.

This year I made the switch to CLE math, too. I sure wish I had known about it back at the beginning. I don't think we would have done a lot of program hopping. I think my oldest dd will be well prepared to go into Algebra 1 as a 9th grader.

I did try some non-Sunrise Edition Bible this year, and I was not happy with the format. The content is very good though. I think there is curriculum for history and science that fits our family better.