Menu

Latin: start in 2nd grade or 3rd grade?

Or later?

Our goals for learning it at a young age would be:

A gentle way to reinforce English grammar.

A fun way to see which words come from the Latin and to help us decode meaning.

The boys were delighted to learn that aquaduct sounds like Aquaman because aqua means water. I think my kids would have fun trying to find related words like that.

But is 2nd grade still too early?

P.S. If we start at 2nd grade--any curriculum recommendations?

I wouldn't give it a grade/age start date. Rather, when your oldest student is ready. I frequently find that when I try to start something my oldest isn't interested in or capable of doing we'll fall flat.

I bought Prima Latina a 2 years ago and we just started it in January. The oldest turned 10 two weeks before. Technically she's a 4th grader.

The youngest is 3 and he's inspired by his older sibs chanting their Latin prayers and he keeps up. Last night he said most of the Sanctus for dinner prayer--although I'm sure it was just parroting. :)

I have enough to do without having to 'push' the Latin cart in my house. I wanted it to be something enjoyable for all--including me!

But is 2nd grade still too early?

P.S. If we start at 2nd grade--any curriculum recommendations?

Not at all, if they're already solid readers in English. We're most of the way through Prima Latina with my 6yo & 4yo, and it's been fine. 4yo doesn't read much yet, and the Latin vowel sounds did confuse her because she knew them by sight before the English vowel sounds, so she had to "relearn" what those symbols should sound like. I do like PL, but it's definitely a Christian book (learning prayers is part of each lesson), so if you're looking for secular it probably isn't a good fit. I don't have them do the writing part, we're doing each lesson orally and reviewing with flash cards. HTH!