Menu

For those who make Roti (flat bread)

If you want it to be Guyanese, then I'd make a Guyana-style curry or dal to go with the roti. There are lots of recipes on the internet. Or you could do dal puri and have the roti and dal all together.

That is just the direction I needed to do a search for recipes. I wasn't sure I could make dal "Guyana style" but that helps to know. Thanks Amira.

Jo

Bill, it's not manners to make enough mention of food to have us salivating and not provide enough information for us to be able to taste it.

Is there a finger wagging smilie?

:)

Rosie

Ah Rosie, it's one of the little know secrets of living in Los Angeles that some of the best food in this city can be found out at the Cricket-ground "teas".

Actually, this is a gross under-statement, as most Angelenos are likely unaware that Cricket is even played in this city, and that we have beautiful felids and active leagues.

Almost all the players are non-natives, but represent nations from around the world. And the mid-game lunch breaks, "teas" (to explain to out non-Australian readers) are put on by the "home-team" and are, I think, more fiercely competitive than the cricket matches themselves.

There is fierce national pride. And the "can you top this?" attitude, results in some good eating. Naturally, I've become a Cricket aficionado :D

I'm about the only "average white-man" out there, but I've been embraced as an "exotic" American Cricket lover :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, the Guyanese food is delicious! Curries are abundant, and show the debt of the large Indian population. But the curries have their own unique flavorings, that meld Caribbean, Indian, African ,and English influences.

Pepperpot is a common curry, but there are so many. Mmmm.

You must take care however as Guyanese do favor their rum, and socializing with them can lead to intoxication ;)

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Hey Spy Car, if you haven't already heard of it, you might like Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. It's about a Dutch cricket player on a mainly Trinidadian team in post 9/11 New York. I'm half way through and I've learned a bit about cricket, or at least I'm no longer completely clueless.

Hey Spy Car, if you haven't already heard of it, you might like Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. It's about a Dutch cricket player on a mainly Trinidadian team in post 9/11 New York. I'm half way through and I've learned a bit about cricket, or at least I'm no longer completely clueless.

Thanks, I don't know this book. I'll look it up :001_smile:

Bill