Menu

Ideas for Easter: Take a tip, leave a tip

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share: I've always wanted to create really beautiful baskets for my kids (and I'm no Martha, believe me), but I can't afford Pottery Barn.

So I was in a Good Will the other day and found two huge, sturdy, beautiful baskets with full handles for $1.99 each. They're large: a baby could fit in one.

I'm going to spray paint white (maybe chocolate brown, can't decide), throw a pretty bow on top and voila! I'm now Martha's very distant, poor cousin!

The bunny will be filling them with candy of course, but also books.

It's a little tough b/c their birthday is just two days before so we can't go overboard on candy, cakes, gifts etc. on either celebration or it will be over load.

Any other great idea out there?

Alicia

We have a treasure hunt for the baskets. Instead of hiding eggs, we hide the kids' baskets. The reason for this is that they find eggs at both grandparents' houses every year and we wanted to do something a little different. (Plus, knowing me, I'd forget where I hid half the eggs and the dog would still be eating Easter M&M's in August.)

So I write out a whole bunch of clues & the kids all work together to find where to go for the next clue. Tons of fun!

M kids loved it when I put bottles of bubbles in their baskets.

ETA: I've also heard that for young kids you can buy a small puzzle, divide the pieces into plastic eggs (maybe a few pieces per egg depending on the size of the puzzle or the age of the kids), and then when they finish hunting eggs they can build the puzzle together, each using the pieces from their eggs.

Edited by Julie in CA

My boys are older and I just saw a cool idea at Cracker Barrel recently. They had filled a large, clear bag with some paper Easter grass, then tucked in a six pack of old-fashioned, 6 oz Cokes, Cracker Jacks, Popcorn and a movie. I'm going to do something similar for my crew!

What a great idea! My kids would love that with a small gift card to Blockbuster.