Menu

Latin questions

mommyto3

so I encourage you to read SWB's reasons for Latin and the articles on the Memoria Press website.

Basically, Latin is dead so the language is set in stone. Thus, a student can carefully analyze the grammar, which always follows the rules, in order to apply that grammar to other languages. The inflection of Latin makes it ideal to learn those structures, which are applicable to other inflected languages such as Russian.

Furthermore, the vocabulary of Latin helps students learn English as well as other Romance languages. The English derivatives from Latin are the tough words that kids might not encounter until later.

Finally, for us, Latin required serious discipline that can be carried over to other subjects.

I began some of mine in 2nd grade with Prima Latina from Memoria Press. My 13 yo is now in Henle, I have two in Latina Christiana I moving into First Form Latin next year, and a rising 2nd grader who will begin Prima next year.

Larissa in NJ

Disclaimer--there will be lots of better answers to this question...

I am teaching Latin instead of Spanish because I want dd8 to have a great foundation before we build the "house of languages." 90% of the Romance languages' vocab is Latin-based. I think Latin makes it infinitely easier to learn Spanish later.

I also find that many, many things in academia are related to the idea of whole parts broken down into small parts. When you can manipulate the small parts, you can build the whole--many wholes, in fact! I think of my preschool classroom and materials. It's all about parts and wholes. Puzzles, pegboards, building blocks, dramatic play themes (the whole is the theme, the roles, costumes, props, dialog are the parts), letters/words/books, etc. Latin allows me to bring that idea to the elementary world--we break this language down and analyze the small parts in order to better organize and build and understand the whole. Latin happens to be a very well-organized language that does not borrow from other sources (not much or not at all, I'm not sure!). It breaks down easily and can be put together easily. This process not only trains the mind, but is also applicable to English. I believe a thorough knowledge of Latin will not only increase one's vocab, but also help one see the underpinnings of English and, like the study of grammar, add to one's ability to write and communicate, and to understand the writings of others.

Beyond it being an easy language to analyze, there are other ways learning Latin is useful. For example, although no one, except perhaps those who use it in worship, uses it to communicate, many of the sciences use Latin in the nomenclature.

Ok, off to work--sorry I get a little ponderous.

We are going to do three years of Latin...Prima, LC I, and LC II, before moving on to Rosetta Stone Spanish. I believe that Latin is a strong foundation class, while Spanish will fill a need for the rest of their lives.

I know others go on to many more Latin courses, but I look at it more as a basement foundation for other languages.

I am teaching Latin instead of Spanish because I want dd8 to have a great foundation before we build the "house of languages." 90% of the Romance languages' vocab is Latin-based. I think Latin makes it infinitely easier to learn Spanish later.

That's exactly why I chose Latin.

We started this year. One of mine is in 3rd the other 2nd. They both thoroughly enjoyed Song School Latin and Minimus. I also had them doing Latin's Not So Tough 1, I think it builds a strong foundation. That level concentrates on letter sounds.

We do both modern and classical languages. I think that it is good to start a modern language early, when it is easy to pick up and the child will be less embarrassed. The boys began Mandarin at age 7 and 4 respectively.

Calvin started Latin too at about age 7, and Hobbes began Greek at 8 (his choice). Both boys began French this year (Calvin age 12, Hobbes age 8) and Hobbes will be starting Latin at age 9. Both boys will have the chance to take up Spanish if they wish at around age 14 or 16.

The curricula we use are in my siggy.

Best wishes

Laura