Menu

Umbrella schools

We are part of one. In my state, there are significant legal benefits - we don't have to register with the LEA, the umbrella school keeps all records and grades and will even issue a diploma when the time comes. We are truly "sheltered" - legally speaking, Becca is a student of the umbrella school at a satellite campus (our home).

We are part of one. In my state, there are significant legal benefits - we don't have to register with the LEA, the umbrella school keeps all records and grades and will even issue a diploma when the time comes. We are truly "sheltered" - legally speaking, Becca is a student of the umbrella school at a satellite campus (our home).

:iagree: yep and on top of that they are state funded .This means I have $1500 credit for my 7th grader, $1300 for my 5th, ad $1200 for my Ker to spend on curriculum 7 classes.

We have to purchase from their vendors, but rainbow & office depot are a vendor so I have NO problems w/ curriculum or ink!

I think the term describes different "animals", even within one state.

In California, we have umbrella schools...usually meaning thru a private group, such as a private homeschool "school" made up of homeschoolers, the school files with the state and issues transcripts, report cards, may or may not have enrichment classes. Then we have homeschool charter schools- a different animal, we are part of one - and I homeschool but report to the school, they do pay for some materials and classes.

Then there are umbrella schools that work outside of the state, such as Calvert...and others.

We are going to be leaving our charter and moving to a private umbrella for highschool...they will be issuing report cards, but the benefit for me is really social for my daughter, I am perfectly able to file on my own and issue my own transcripts.

this is my understanding, anyone help out here?

:iagree: yep and on top of that they are state funded .This means I have $1500 credit for my 7th grader, $1300 for my 5th, ad $1200 for my Ker to spend on curriculum 7 classes.

We have to purchase from their vendors, but rainbow & office depot are a vendor so I have NO problems w/ curriculum or ink!

Oh, lucky you! I don't have that benefit here.

Wow, that's neat. Do they have requirements as to what type of curriculum you use, or do you still have a pretty free hand?

Generally, these are not "umbrella schools." They are public schools which enroll homeschoolers, and in most cases they are charter schools. Umbrella schools are private schools which enroll homeschoolers.

Personally, I prefer to homeschool under my state's homeschool laws, rather than enroll in a public school program, but that's just me.