Menu

So- LL seems to be the most popular, is that right?

I thought I had my Latin curriculum decided. :D But, I have now learned that many, many more parents are happy with LL. Is that right? Or, am I just hearing from more LL users? ;)

I am thinking of buying this program for my 3rd and 5th grader next year. Especially since everyone seems to like it so much more than PL.

If I'm misinterpreting, please correct me!

Thanks!

I think if you'd search the boards you'd find many people happy with Prima Latina, and many happy with Lively Latin! Have you downloaded a sample chapter of each program, and showed them to your kids?

We quickly found Prima Latina boring. We also prefer a secular program. My boys were immediately 'invested' in LL after reading the intro and picking a Latin name. And somehow we always have a laugh during the lesson, while we're learning.

And there are some other good programs, too. I just stopped looking when we found one that worked for us.

Edited by Jen3boys

I thought I had my Latin curriculum decided. :D But, I have now learned that many, many more parents are happy with LL. Is that right? Or, am I just hearing from more LL users? ;)

I am thinking of buying this program for my 3rd and 5th grader next year. Especially since everyone seems to like it so much more than PL.

If I'm misinterpreting, please correct me!

Thanks!

We love Latina Christiana here :) I've never seen Lively Latin so I can't tell you about it, but we use the Latina Christiana I DVDs and we really like the program. In fact, I'm getting ready to order LCII next week.

IMO, given your childrens' ages, they will be BORED out of their minds if you start them with Prima Latina. I tried that with mine when they were 3rd & 6th.....did not work out. But they have been very happy with LCI.

So, what is the biggest difference between PL and LC? I thought that you had to start with PL before you went on to LC?

thanks,

Bethany

I believe that Prima Latina was designed for younger students. I'm thinking K-2. My kids hated it. They thought it was way too basic. We are working through LCI. I have finally agreed to stop holding my DD back and will allow her to double up and do 2 lessons per week. She will immediately begin LCII when she finishes LCI and work on it through the summer so that she can begin Henle I this fall.

I just flipped through my Prima Latina. ALL of the material covered in Prima Latina is covered in Latina Christiana I - most of it in the first half of the book.

Prima Latina - 5 or 6 vocabulary words per lesson

Latina Christiana I - 10 vocabulary words per lesson

HTH:)

So, what is the biggest difference between PL and LC? I thought that you had to start with PL before you went on to LC?

thanks,

Bethany

On the back cover of my Prima Latina, it says that LCI can be completed by a 3rd grade student if they completed Prima Latina as a 2nd grader.

My own experience is that Prima Latina is not necessary. Your experience may be different. :)

I used some of PL with my oldest a few years ago. We just started homeschooling again after Christmas, and we began using LC 1.

It was NOT a good fit for us. We loved the idea of learning Latin, but LC constantly left us waiting for results. It was also really dry.

I looked at Lively Latin, but it was a bit too much for us, and I heard it had many grammatical errors.

So, we downloaded the sample chapter of Latin Prep. We LOVED it, and continue to love it. I bought the books. We had to redo the first chapter again, since the book was actually a bit different (updated, perhaps) than the sample chapter we were using. It's a GREAT program.

So, anyway, just thought I'd toss another fish in the sea :) Definitely take a look. There are several great minds on this board who use Latin Prep.