Menu

When your child starts working with an outside tutor

Laura Corin

Well, with my older son, his first experience was with English classes in seventh and eighth grades. I was shown his assignments after he'd gotten them back and they were graded, but not before. Later, when he took college classes, I previewed his work before he sent it in to make certain that he'd appropriately addressed the assignments.

My younger son has been doing Spanish for a couple of years now, and he's been very responsible in completing his assignments on his own. I don't really ever even look at them. We do Spanish at home, too, using separate programming, so he's getting feedback from two sources.

Next year, he will begin math work with an outside tutor and I'll just have to wait to see how it goes. I don't know whether I'll need to be involved or not.

Hi Laura,

W/ our Latin tutor last year, she gave homework and the kids did the assignments daily on their own. She tested.

W/ our new Spanish tutor, it will be mainly for conversation and grammar explanation. She will assign homework and do testing also (which I want for the accountability). Dc will also work w/ a hodge-podge of materials/resources I have gathered -- separate from what the tutor assigns.