Menu

Which should I use? PL or LC I ?

RhondaM.

My dd will be an 8 yr old 3rd grader...she will turn 9 in November.

We've held off grammar so far and will start R&S 3 this fall.

I own both Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I.

I'm in no rush to get to Henle as I need to learn some latin myself, plus I've got two olders who take up a LOT of time.

I think I'd rather do PL. But would you do PL with a 3rd grader?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Sure - - it will be fairly easy for her, but you can make sure that she really nails the vocab.

You can do PL in 3rd, LC1 in 4th, LC2 in 5th, and still start Henle in 6th. Or, take two years for LCII (it ramps up a LOT from LC1) and start Henle in 7th.

Prima Latina comes before Latina Christiana I. If your child is in third grade, then Prima Latina is the book.

I did 3rd grade Prima Latina, 4th grade Latina Christiana I, now, 5th grade Latina Christiana II. We are breaking it up for 2 years because it steps up in grammar, etc. in LCII.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I think Prima Latina is fine if you just want your child to learn a few prayers or songs.

But if it were me, I'd either just do LC 1 (1 lesson a week) or at half speed and skip PL.

To do LC 1 at half speed, just do 5-10min of the chants, songs, vocab 4-5x a week and do the LC 1 "half a lesson" 2-3 days a week. Latin would be 20min a day and you'd be thru LC 1 in 2 years instead of 1.

I just found PL too easy for a 3rd grader and just right for a Ker or 1st grader. If all else fails, master the LC 1 vocab in 3rd grade and do the rest of the book in grade 4. Just some alternatives.

Lisaj